kohler or kaw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by keith@a1 lawn, Aug 17, 2001.

  1. As being an expert

    Most of us should be experts in small engine repair by now.

    But one the other side with all the abuse and stuff IMHO the Kaw. has not been true tested on these new ZTR's and high power hydro walk behinds

    Kaw. is still relatively new to the comm. mowing market with their new engines they introduced in the last 2 years. the v-twins

    As far as fixing the small engines I have no problem doing that. If all else fails I go to the dealer for service

    As far as longevity Kohler has proved theirselves well.

    As far as choosing an engine for your mower that's up to the manufacturers to do. I have seen a lot of them not offering choices any more. So soon you will have to choose a mower that comes with the engine you want.

    LGF:blob1:
     
  2. crazygator

    crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,048

    We use these engines daily, so who is the expert? Someone running an engine 200, 500 or 1000 hours a year? I think so! And yes we do all have various likes and dislikes for engines. Doesn't make 1 right and the other wrong, but the 2000 hours club does speak well for certain brands. With that in mind I'd like an engine which will last. Don't we all? So yes, we are experts because we work on the engines, maintain the engines, and use them in a way that let's us tell others which are good and which are bad.
     
  3. vipermanz

    vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,773

    Don't forget toilets!
     
  4. Thanks Gator you brought up one other point I forgot.

    In my biz it takes less than 2 seasons to put 2000hrs on a machine.

    With that said some one give me a Kaw on a mower and I will see if it can do it . Then I may endorse it.

    LGF:blob1:
     
  5. grassman50

    grassman50 Banned
    Posts: 36

    i would for sure go with the kawasaki. I have a husqvarna with a 25 horse kawasaki and its really strong. I heard that a 23 horse kaw will out power a 25 horse kohler.
     
  6. TJLC

    TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,308

    I have both engines and have had problems with both. I think there is good and bad in both, IMHO.
     
  7. Andy Lewis

    Andy Lewis LawnSite Member
    from sc
    Posts: 8

    Hi! My way of thinking I would get the Kolhler. Why? Hydro. Lifters never need adjusting, which means all you do is external stuff(plugs,oil,filters) Kawi needs adjusting every 300 hrs. Plus how many people really totally wear out an engine? NONE! Just something to think about. Andy.
     
  8. John DiMartino

    John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,555

    Andy,the lifters on a Kohler may never need adjusting,but they sure do tick like they do.At least with 1/2 hr of time,you could quiet a kawi's lifters,the kohler's only get quiet when they feel like it.Mine feel quiet about 75% of the time,and tick like mad the other 25% of the time.
     
  9. General Grounds

    General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 902

    :blob3: i have 12 mowers with kohlers, some with 3000 hrs onn them, most of the 12 gave me little to no problems, i'm also very good w/ mait., air filters weekly and oil every 50 hrs, i also throw a shot of marvels in the tank once a month. i have one kawi, 19 hp on my lazer, though it's a great engine i've had a breather problem, ever since the machine hit 30 hrs, my dealer has received kits from kawi and so on, but kawi seems to feel like they make a flawless product, i quess im trying to say is that im surprised at how poor their support is. T
     
  10. GLS

    GLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,173

    Although I would choose a Kawasaki engine over a Kohler, I don't think kohler is all that bad. Just because they make faucets, doesn't mean they make bad engines.
     

Share This Page