Kohler or Kaw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daryl H, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Daryl H

Daryl H LawnSite Member

I am in the process of buying an EXmark lazer HP and I am wondering if you guys have a preference of one brand of engine over the other. Either Kohler or the Kaw. Both seeme like good engines but the dealer is pushing the Kaw. He says it is a better engine and will list longer. Also says the Kohler is not the engine they used to be. Any help will be appreceiated.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have the LHP with 23 kawi and like it alot. I have 3 kawis in the fleet now and they all make good power and run good. None of them have lots of hours on them yet, so if they will last longer is not known. I do have several things with kohlers that have lots of hours and still run good.

Kawis make better power than a kohler. But I may not get as many hours from the kawi. Who knows? Its a wait and see game. If I had to make another decision right now, I wouldn't know which I would get.

3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I also have the lazer hp with the 23 kawi, and it does good job. It ses to have enough power for the deck. also have a tthp 48 inch with 17 kawi motor and it does a good job also. When I purchase new equiptment, I know for a fact it will be a kohler. I am really impresed with the heavy duty air filter system that the kohlers have. I tink this in itself would get more hours on a engine. I check the dinky air filters in both of my kawasakis frequently. They seem to get bad quick. Also, I don`t the oil stays as clean as if it would if there were a better filter system on it like the kohler heavy duty system. Another thing to think about is when the kawasakis need repair, in some areas the parts have to be shipped, and last year I needed some seals, it took 3 weeks to get them shipped. :angry: I will definetley be checking into equiptment with kohler motors on them next time.
    Just my 2 cents worth!!!

4. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Been running a Kohler 14HP on my Toro WB for 7 years. No problems whatsoever.

LAWNS AND MOWER

5. Daryl H

Daryl H LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info guys. I like the idea of the heavy duty air filter system. Think I'll look at the Kohler.

6. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I run a LHP with a 23hp Kaw. It has been great, with plenty of power for my 52" deck, and has been problem free so far (200hrs). It's still new, in my mind, so we will have to see how it is running after 500,1,000 and 1,500 hours to test longevity.