Kohler or Kaw?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by keegan99usa, Mar 3, 2004.

1. keegan99usa

keegan99usa LawnSite Member

All else being considered the same which is better? Homeowner lawn tractor ZTR with maybe 200 hrs to put on it every year. I know all is not going to be the same, but consider engine only ok?
  2. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

Theres a good thread already on this very subject. Just do a search if you haven't try ed.
  3. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I switched to Kaw form Kohler and will never return. I have a total of 7 riders and w/b mower all Kaw engines.
  4. Nitroman

Nitroman LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Kohler for sure. I own both motors and like them both but, the kawasaki would be the first to go.
  5. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

I've had 2 Grasshoppers with Kohlers, few problems. The older of the 2 broke timing belt when about 1600 hours on it, and that engine STILL runs 100 hours between oil changes without needing a drop added. The newer has about 690 hours and has had nothing done to it.

Kawasaki is another story. I've got a Kubota with a Kawa water cooled that is a good strong engine, when it runs. Constant carb problems. I NEVER had a small engine as prone to carb getting clogged up. This in spite of upgrading the fuel filter on the machine. The worst part is, the local Kubota dealer's service dept. is worthless (can I say that here?) and the one time I took machine to them I got it back with more wrong than when it went in. So I wrote to Kubota, never got a reply. Wrote Kawasaki, never got a reply.

Which do you think I will choose from now on?

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

all depends on what size just my .02 but i would go with kaw i have 2 and i have never had a single problem
  7. Dave655

Dave655 LawnSite Member

Go with the Kawasaki, I love Mine!!
  8. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have a kaw 23 in a 01 ztr, never really had anything go bad on it, also have a generac 28, lots of power, will be picking up a 27 kohler, in about 3 weeks, hope they are good, been around for along time.
  9. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

Kawi. No question. But then again I have never owned a Kohler so I am am little bias...

10. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

Jeeze hasn't this topic been discussed enough times on this site!!