Kohler or Kawasaki - and why?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Prestige-Lawncare, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Should get lots of opinions here ... what's your favorite - and why?

:weightlifter:

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I have only run Kawi's, for no paticular reason other than they came on the mowers I have bought. I will say that the newer "twin" Kawi's seem to have more power then the older styles, example- My 36" metro hp has a 15hp twin and it seems to go through anything, but my older48" has a 14hp Kawi as well and it boggs down quite often. The new Exmark we ordered is coming with a 27hp Kholer. we'll see if it holds up.:waving:

3. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Kawasaki - to me, I feel that the Kawasaki has better lowend torque.

4. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Kohlers pop like it is blowed up.

5. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

I have had both. My personal experience - Kohlers were not as dependable for me, but my machines with Kawasaki engines were.

We lost most of our mowing equipment during Hurricane Katrina. Our Exmark Metro HP 32 has a 12.5hp Kawasaki that sat submerged in flood waters for three days straight.

We dumped all of the fuel, drained and changed the oil, changed the oil filter and air filter, filled with fresh fuel, and let the mower sit and dry for one week. And then, I $hit you not, on the second pull, the engine started right up. The mower has had all of the necessary follow-up maintenance to get it back up to speed. The only thing going out are the engine's bearings. There's a constant grinding.

I won't change the motor out until the bearings sieze.

6. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

some kohlers such as the 30 hp has "issues"... it's EXTREMELY cold natured. kawasaki's are much smoother and quieter than kohlers and hold up really well. i find the air cooled engines are better and last longer than the water-cooled engines though so i'd stay away from them. but as far as kawi vs koh.... go with the kawi. as far as starting goes... .KAWI ALL THE WAY!!

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Quote from above "i find the air cooled engines are better and last longer than the water-cooled engines" I never heard that before? I've always heard water cooled last longer.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I've always run Kohlers so far, never a problem. They average between 2500 and 3000 hrs for an engine that cost only in the $1500 range. They are a bargin for the most part but I wouldn't say they were better than Kaw. I would give the edge to Kaw but Kohlers for the most part are very dependable. Both company's have put out some lemons before. So for the money Kohler is hard to beat and Kaw is a top notch engine. As far a service goes Kohler.

9. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

It would be impossible for any engine made to crank easier, switch off easier, start the blades on a 66" deck Hustler Super Z at the lowest possible throttle setting or run better with excellent power surge and fuel economy than the 28 efi Kohler I am running now. I have run all brands and this is by far the best engine I have run, the Kawasaki's were good engines but more temperamental for me, this 28 efi is perfect in every respect. I would be willing to bet if I bought the same mower and engine tomorrow it would not run as good as this one does. Now talking about how long they last I really don't care, if it blows up I will buy a new one.

10. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I buy what comes with the mower. I have both a Kawasaki and kohler. Iv had better luck with the Kohler. The 25 HP Kohler has 2000 hours on it and it runs great with plenty of power. It doesn't burn oil, doesn't have funny sounds like its wearing out.

My 17 HP Kohler runs good too, but it burns oil like crazy when you start it from cold sometimes. But only sometimes, because I will start it when its cold and it wont smoke at all. Its kind of random when it burns oil, and it always clears after a few minutes.

Iv had great luck with both the engines overall.