1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

kohler? or kawasaki?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by NCYARDBOY, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Tulsa Lawn Guy

Tulsa Lawn Guy LawnSite Member

I have a Kohler on my 32" WB and my 60" Z and have been pleased with both. Kawasaki also makes a quality product. You really can't go wrong with either.

Just don't by a Briggs!!
  2. mikemerritt

mikemerritt LawnSite Member
    from MS

I took in a 19 or so (no blower housing for numbers) HP Kawasaki twin that had spun the top crank journal and it was disassembled. After seeing this thread the day before I noticed the cam gear and guess what? Nice metal colored plastic cam gear. The only other small engine I have seen with plastic gears is the B&S Classic and 3.75 which had it as well as plastic lobes. I don't know what I think about this situation. Surely testing has shown that the plastic gear will perform as long as needed.

3. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

my .02 on this is get the kohler i do way more warranty work on kaw than i do on kohler
  4. Joe B J

Joe B J LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Kohler...I have two 25 hp, and one 20hp kohlers in commercial use, the ONLY problem I have experienced is the oil filter mount o ring leaking on the 25's. Very tough engines.