1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kohler or Kawasaki?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mloolara, Feb 15, 2005.

1. mloolara

mloolara LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy the Scag Tiger Cub- 48" advantage deck. I can purchase it with the 19 HP Kawasaki or for $100 more, I can get the 20 HP Kohler. I keep hearing differring opinions on which is a better engine. Can anyone tell me from personal experience? Also, is this enough horsepower for cutting 4 acres a week and possible mulching at times here in Louisiana where it can be wetter and maybe thicker due to our weather patterns? By the way, this is strictly for resdiential purposes and not commercial so I want something that is going to last and also give me a good cut.
  2. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

First off I can't comment on the Louisiana question, as for the engine I would go with the Kawasaki. I have had too many problems with Kohler engines over the years and I have had very few with the Kawasaki. Besides the Kawasaki has more torque, Scag also puts a 21 Kawasaki on that same machine.
    Good Luck
  3. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I'd say go with Kohler. Thats all we run and they are great engines and we are never broke down. We've never owned a Kawasaki so I can't really comment on their performance but the Kohlers have worked out great for us.
  5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't say for certain about where everyone gets their torque figures for Kawasaki and Kohler engines, but take a look at the links below. The first link is to Kawasaki's site, which lists the 19 as having just under 30 ft-lbs. of torque at 3,600 rpm. The second like goes to Kohler's site and lists figures for the Command Pro, which is listed as having 32.6 ft-lbs of torque at 2,600 rpm.

Now granted those are different rpm settings and the Kawasaki may indeed sport more torque than the Kohler at an operating setting like 3,600, but how can anyone here at Lawnsite know? Don't get me wrong, I have one Kawasaki and am about to get another, so I'm not biased toward Kohler, but it seems to me we assume a lot, given how little information we actually have.

To me, the bottom line is that both manufacturers are quite good and if Scag felt there was a problem with the Kohler, they wouldn't use it. Too many other engines out there, what with Briggs' upgrade line of engines and Honda's entry into this segment.

By the way, many here on Lawnsite like to say that you get what you pay for. They would NEVER be caught dead with a homeowner unit like my Deere L110 (a feeling I'm sympathetic to now, lol). So if more money means better performance, and the extra charge is for the Kohler 20, the Kohler is a better buy.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

The kawasaki engines seem to have more torque. I have a tiger cub with the 48'' 20hp kohler combo and it is ok. I dont mulch but when I put a very high lift blade on it the 20hp has to really work, just what i know if I was going to mulch I would want a lil more motor
  7. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Kawasaki, there's really no choice here. dependability and productivity are what Kawi. is all about. :p :p
  8. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

i have got kohler engines on my stump cutters ,they seem to run a bit rough for the first 30-50 hours but after that they run very well imo ,1 of my machines has 500 hour's on it and the engine has not had a problem...i reckon either engine will serve you well
  9. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

In my experience kawasaki consumes more oil and their air filters cost to much. They are good engines, but I prefer Kohler.
  10. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

tack it from a dealer,DO NOT GET THE KAW.in the past five years i have done way more warranty work on the kaw. than i have done on kohler.they hold up better last longer and when you wear one out you can short block it the kaw is a throwaway