kohler over charging

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mark71, Mar 16, 2008.

1. mark71

mark71 LawnSite Member

I have a craftsman rider with a Kohler command cv14s ohv engine. just found out this week its over-charging. When the engine is started it shows 12.8 volts on my meter. After about five minutes, its charging over 16 volt and eventually goes off the end of my meter. It just slowly climbs as it is running. Sounds like voltage regulator to me but I can't find one. Any ideas?
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Kohler has two charging systems on these smaller engines, If yours has a regulator it will be mounted to the flywheel cover and have three wires plugged into it. Two whites on the outside and in most cases a purple in the center.

Engine spec number and even the tractor model number will show which charging system you have.
  3. mark71

mark71 LawnSite Member

Hi Restrorob, and thanks for the reply. Sorry I forgot the numbers Spec 1452. The Craftsman # is 917.254850.. I don't think it has a regulator, just looking for something else to check. Thanks
  4. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

IF it doesn't have a regulator, it will at least have a charge diode.
    Put your meter on the AC range and see if you are getting any reading.
    IF you are, the diode is bad.
    It should be located between a black wire coming from the engine, and the "R" terminal on the key switch. IF no "R", than "L" (more likely)
  5. mark71

mark71 LawnSite Member

thanks Bill, I'll check it out