Kohler pro 13 wont start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 44toroz, Feb 10, 2006.

1. 44toroz

44toroz LawnSite Member

Ive neglected this engine for over a year. Left about a gallon of fuel in it which when the float stuck on the carb leaked into the crankcase. I did not realize that i left fuel in it, so i fuel it up and it fired right up. It smoked alot ran for 5 seconds then died and would not restart. I figured it would be a gummed up carb so i pulled it off and cleaned it out. Still would not start. Out of habit I checked the oil which reeked of gas. I drained the oil from the engine and it was extremely thin almost like water. I then filled the engine with 20 w 50 oil figuring i would change the oil after i got it running to try to get all the fuel out. Long story short machine still will not start even with starter fluid. Ive pulled the plug and I have good spark. I then pulled the muffler of to see if there was any blockage. When i tried to start the machine without the muffler flames came out of exhaust port and the it backfired through the carb. It did these each time i tried to start it (over 10 times)

I'm wondering if this engine has hydraulic lifters that are being affected by the thin oil that was in the machine or the thick oil that i just put in it. Any help with this would be great.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The Kohler Pro 12 doesn't have hyd. lifters , Didn't see a 13 but if it does with all the cranking you say you did would re-prime them anyway. I believe what has happened is carbon build-up on top of the piston dried out from sitting so long and soon as you tried starting it popped loose and got stuck under the valves. I've seen this many many times, The fix is pull the head and decarbon head, piston and valves and make sure the valve seat areas are clean. Reassemble and it should pop right off if the carb. is ok.

3. 44toroz

44toroz LawnSite Member

Should i replace the head gasket and what would you recommend for decarboning? Seafoam? Thank you for your reply and help you the man!

4. 44toroz

44toroz LawnSite Member

Also according to kohlers website this motor does have hydraulic lifters if that changes anything.

5. Restrorob

I was not 100% sure on that because I only deal with the larger Kohlers.

That doesn't change anything, Because I feel you have turned the engine over enough to re-prime the lifters if that were the case. I use a small cup wire brush in my die grinder to decarbon, One in a electric drill will work just fine and yes you will need to replace the head gasket.

6. 44toroz

44toroz LawnSite Member

I cleaned the valves using wire brush and a carb cleaner. Valve seats look good. I turned the engine over without valve cover a couple of times and got good oil flow and both valves opened. Buttoned everything up and try to fire it up and it runs for a couple of seconds and then dies. Then back to the same backfiring and flames out of the carb. Also visible smoke out of the carb. ??????????????? This thing is driving me up the wall! I think im going to tear the carb down again and see what happens. Thanks again.

7. Restrorob

Make sure you spray out ALL passages and the main jet Good, The description you gave before sounded too much like valves thats why I suggested that.

8. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like timing to me

9. 44toroz

44toroz LawnSite Member

I was thinking maybe timing too, but why after it ran perfect before it was stored.

10. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

a tooth may have just broke