kohler problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tazz6584, Sep 30, 2006.

1. tazz6584

tazz6584 LawnSite Member

kohler cv23s problems I have two seperate questions that I need help with. On the first engine the charging systems will only work if the mower s at about 1/3 throttle. I replaced the flywheel stator and voltage regulator so everything is new.If you play with the throttle it will charge in a very small range which is about 1/3 of full throttle. On the second engine I have no fire on either cylinder. I was backing the mower of the trailer yesterday and it just shut down.

2. RyDawg3

RyDawg3 LawnSite Member

check to see if you have power at the purple wire at the volt regulator, check wires to key switch and fuse. last is the battery in good shape. on the second engine sounds as if you have a saftey switch problem or bad pto switch/ connection

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

On the first engine the charging system sounds like it's performing as intended, You will not have a high rate of charge at lower RPM's to prevent a over charge state in the battery. As long as you are getting over 13.2 volts on the battery post at full throttle you should be fine.

On the second engine un-plug the harness connector at the engine, Remove the white wire from the connector plug then plug the connector back together. What this is doing is bypassing all safety switches and the ignition switch, The white wire is the kill lead from the ignition modules (Coils). See if the engine will start or has spark. If so you have a switch issue, If still no start or spark post back and I will post the ignition module (Coil) test.

4. tazz6584

tazz6584 LawnSite Member

thanks for the help my problem on the first engine is it will only charge at 1/3 throttle. If I throttle it up or down it stops charging.There is only one spot that it will charge. I will try unplugging the white wire on the other engine.

5. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

Restrorob, what harness are you talking about. I am familiar with the white wire. I have a similar problem on my cv20, but only one cylinder is giving me trouble. I have already ordered an ignition module, but I am not sure what harness you are talking about. Where is it? Thanks

6. Restrorob

There is a five wire connector plug right by the starter, This plug connects the Kohler engine wire harness to the (whatever) brand unit wire harness.

7. Restrorob

On the charging system problem, Put your multimeter on the purple wire as RyDawg3 said with the engine running then post the voltage results.

8. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

If I find it is the ignition module, should I replace both sides. How long do they last on average. The motor has 1175 hours. I took the cover off the motor yesterday in prep for the repair. I am waiting for the parts to come in. But now I am wondering if I should do both sides. The motor is a cv20s and the problem was intermittent no spark on one side. Thanks

9. Restrorob