1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kohler Problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scagguy, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Kohler 27HP on an 50" Exmark Lazer that's been to the shop twice with reoccuring problems. It started smoking when it had about 10 hrs on it. The dealer found that the lifters had collapsed and the push rods were bent. They fixed that. Then around 25 hrs or so it started smoking again. There was a bulletin from Kohler concerning the wrong pistons might have been installed at the factory. The dealer pulled the pistons and found that while they were the correct pistons, the rings weren't seating. So, they installed new pistons and rings. Now, the engine has about 60hrs on it and smoking again. Has anyone else had this problem? I called my dealer and asked him to call the rep and get me a new engine. This can't be good.
  2. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

They should warranty with a new engine.
  3. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

i've never seen many problems out of the 27's....more from the 30's. In any case it seems like another engine might be the way to go if your dealer's distributor will cooperate!