Kohler problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Medic Man, May 29, 2008.

1. Medic Man

Medic Man LawnSite Member
    from Van, TX

Hey guys, another question that may have an easy answer (or not):

My Kohler (on a DC) turns over but won't fire up. Took the plugs out, doesn't look like they are firing. I used the machine for four hours straight yesterday, no problems. My question, how can I troubleshoot this? Is there another safety switch besides the seat that I can bypass to see if that's the problem? It was doing this the other day but I had a leaking fuel bushing, fixed that and it started. Now I don't know what I did.

I looked at the service manual that someone had posted, but I don't think I was looking at the right thing. I'd just like to be able to check before I take it to the shop in case it's something small.

Thanks

2. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

what type of machine is it? Check to see if it has a parking brake safety switch, and neutral switches on the handles (if it's a ztr). Check if the blade switch is on as well. Check for spark from the wires, it could be the coils.

3. Medic Man

from Van, TX

It will start (not right now) with the PTO enaged, park brake off, etc. I don't know how to check the coils, but i would think it odd that both would go bad exactly the same time?. I don't have fire to either plug.

4. Medic Man

from Van, TX

Sorry, I forgot to say the model # - CV745 on a 2003 Dixie Chopper XT3000. I'm hoping something is just grounding out but I don't know what to check.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Medic Man,

Unplug the seat switch relay and just leave the plug dangling then check for spark again, This will eliminate the seat switch. If still no spark unplug the unit harness back at the engine. Remove the white wire (coil kill lead) from the connector then plug the connector back into the engine and check for spark again, This will eliminate a bad ignition switch.

If you still have no spark with the white wire disconnected the wire could be shorted under the flywheel cover or both coils took a dump.

Your unit only has a seat switch no others that's why you can start it with the blades on or joysticks pulled together.

Good Luck

6. Medic Man

from Van, TX

Thanks for the input. Now about that unit harness...I don't know what that is. That's where I had problems with the service manual. I haven't found a white wire....sorry I sound helpless. Is there a post or site that might show that harness?

7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Dixie Chopper uses a fuse for the ignition system, it should be in line somewhere near the wiring harness near the motor. The harness connects the iginition switch to the motor. Check that first. Tell me how that goes.

If you disconect the seat switch, you must use a jumper to complete the circut. I use a short piece of wire pushed into the plug for the seat switch.

Check the tipover saftey switch too. It's the little bullet shaped item on the side of the engine near the wiring harness. This is a mercury switch that is clamped onto the engine cover, if it is turned or malfuctioning, you won't get any spark.

8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Also, how was it stored over the winter. I've seen mice get around the coils and chew the wires. Once they ground out you won't get any spark.

Dixie uses a safety switch that must have a circut, unlike a lot of other mowers where you can just disconect it. It was a warranty thing, they didn't want their customers just disconecting it.

There shouldn't be any saftey switch for the PTO, which is a manual lever, the steering bars, or even the parking brake.

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Not for the ignition system but in-line to the ignition switch for starting.

Not if the relay is un-plugged as I mentioned.

This unit does not have one.

[​IMG]

Good Luck

10. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Rob,
    XT3000 will have a tip over switch. Remember, this must be a repower as this machine originally had a Generac:cry: