kohler problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scenic Lawnscape, May 13, 2004.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape LawnSite Senior Member

My dixie 50" with a 20 kohler magnum is giving me problems again, now there is a loud knock coming from the right side and maybe under neath, just out of know where and when i engage the blades the rpms go down and wants to stall, any ideas any help would be great

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

sounds like one cylinder is not firing.
  3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

These motors have an inherent lifter problem. They suck air and collaps. How is your oil level and what type are you using? My Kohler used to start ticking and I noticed a small power loss. After switching to Penzoil Long Life oil, that problem has been greatly reduced. Kohler has a lifter upgrade kit for these motors. Its part#24755135S.
  4. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

warranty should cover the lifters
  5. Scenic Lawnscape

would that cause the loss of power when i engage the blades
  6. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

Check out this thread. Look for my posts and I hope it helps you out. The 20 and 22 are pretty much the same engine.

Too much to type out.
    Also one other thing you ought to try. Purposely starve the mower for fuel. I will assume your symptoms come and go. When they are gone just shut the fuel valve off and listen as it runs out of gas. If it makes the same noise that you here now, chances are it is the accelerator pump. Good luck
  7. Scenic Lawnscape

its a loud knock and its not going away and when i engage the blades it gets louder, but the rpm dont go up they go down real low
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It sounds like some more serious probs than just valve work. Is this motor actually a MAGNUM motor, or is it a Command? The Magnum is an older style and the cylinders are right in line with one another. The Command is the V twin.
  9. AirCooled

AirCooled LawnSite Member

Runner is correct. If its a Magnum you can forget about anything to do with hydraulic lifters because it doesn't have'em. Almost sounds like you lost a connecting rod. Time to pull the spark plug and see if you have any compression in that jug. If not you may be looking at a short block. Check the price with labor and you might find a Command replacement is cheaper and you'll get a warranty.
    If its a Command its time to pop off the offending rocker cover to see if pushrods are still in place. In any case don't continue running it because you might not have oil pressure when these things happen. Your problems may multiply.
  10. Scenic Lawnscape

tore it apart and i need 2 valves a piston and a head, a screw worked loose on the air cleaner and maid its way inside and thats what was going on, so now i have to wait for parts