Kohler "Quiet" Canister Mufflers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmc456, Jun 13, 2005.

1. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

Who uses the "Quiet" canister muffler from Kohler. This muffler is a little larger and of course costs more, but it is worth the reduction in noise? Can you tell a difference?

Also, they sell "Silencers" as well. Has anyone tried one of these as an add-on feature for a muffler?
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know, but I'll tell you what, if you have a Bob-Cat mower dealer around or one of the others like Bunton or Jacobsen... then drop by and have a look at the 27hp Kohler models and the exhaust they use on them. This might be the "quiet" muffler, I dunno. But it sure as heck is very very quiet and sounds great.

If that is the "quiet" muffler, it is surely the way to go!
  3. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2. One on my 22 Koh on Scag Sthm and 1 on my 18 Koh on a Toro

52 proline. I also use a Enginaire precleaner on Scag. Well worth the money.

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

so how do you like them? does it really make a big differance?
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I think the different sizes of mufflers are application specific. I know the 23 hp Kohler vert shaft has like 9 different mufflers that will actually go on that engine, but only one that will fit that engine on my specific mower. I enquired about a different muffler due to the fact that I only get about 1 season IF THAT out of a muffler before the welds fot the heat shield crack and leave large holes in the muffler. Dosn't "muffel" at all then... $160 bucks just for the muffler. Iv'e been running it broken for some time since I wear earplugs it dosn't bother me much. Other people and homeowners are getting a little tired of the noise though!

The silencer for my muffler is a hardened steel screen that's sort of cone shaped and goes into the muffler. YES it does make it quieter and makes it sound smoother, less Harley popping sound, and also stops the back-firing on throttle down. Drawback is the little screen for mine is about another 30 bucks! and it only lasts for about a season as well and then it won't stay in the hole anymore.
  6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

wow, I can't believe that you only get a year out of your mufflers. I am in an area that punishes equipment and my muffler for my kohler has lasted a lot longer than that.

wouldn't it be cheaper to just redo the welds your self, or take it to a welding shop? it also might be worth it to spray it with some high temperature paint when you first get it to prevent rust.
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

"rewelding" a muffler really isn't possible. My step-dad owns a sheet metal fabrication shop and he tried to patch the holes and told me that they may hold for a few hours of use. welding steel that's already been welded makes it like glass (very brittle) almost impossible to patch a muffler...

Rust isn't the problem either... the welds just fail from the heat causing expansion and then cooling and contracting.

this particular muffler has tabs welded to the side of it for a heat shield to attach too. these break off even with no heat sheild attached to them and leaves a nice hole in the side of the muffler.

It certianly sucks to say the least. I'm actually headed to the garage right at this moment to replace the muffler. I just bought new ones because I'm a little tired of being the loudest lco in town...
  8. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I have a Bunton 26 EFI demo for the week.

All I say is nice machine. Very quiet and great cut. The headlight is pretty cool I cut some commercial properties until 10:30 last night just because I could.

I might have to get one of these.