kohler regulator tester

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BILLSMOWERS, Jan 14, 2012.

1. BILLSMOWERS

BILLSMOWERS LawnSite Member

hi just got a kohler regulator tester from a workshop that has closed down do any of you have a set of instructions you can email me please as the instructions i have i can not read very poor photo copy i can not read the set up for the testing the briggs regulators also do any of you have a chart of all the pin outs of the different regulators used in small engine by the different manufactures

bill

rowland26760@btinternet.com

2. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

The Kohler tester will not come with instructions on checking Briggs components.
    If you have a thorough understanding of charging systems, you may be able to use it on other regulators.
    Post a pic of what you have.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. BILLSMOWERS

hi there is details of briggs regulators but as it is a bad copy you can not work out which wire connects to what ie ac wires, dc wire, ground wire also there is a bridge wire to connect 2 terminals together on some regulators as some regulators only have 2 connectors where i used to work we had a chart with the pin outs of all the regulators so we could check any regulator /rectifier also some regulators only have 2 terminals so you bridge 1 ac +dc wires on the tester together and connect to the dc output then the other ac wire go's to the ac terminal and the ground to the case

bill

4. piston slapper

How old is this thing?
    A pic would help.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. BILLSMOWERS

ok here are some photos as you can see it has four leads.the 2 black leads with spade connectors are the ac in from the charge coil, red lead is dc out from the regulator other black lead with crock clip is ground the small leads are the adaptors one has a diode in it for testing one is a lead to dubble connect to one terminal and one is a piggy back lead hope this will help to explain by the way you can still get this unit from kohler

P1140068a.jpg

P1140069a.jpg

P1140070a.jpg

6. piston slapper

Looks like the one I have.
    Don't remember the part about checking other mfr's regulators.
    If someone else doesn't post the instructions sooner, I'll post them on Monday.
    My tester is at work.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. BILLSMOWERS

thank you very much
    the one i have came from dti part number 70148 ( they make this for kohler they also make the tiny tach ) this is what is on the invoice that came with it
    kind regards
    bill

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  8. BILLSMOWERS

http://tinytach.com/design/tools.php

scroll down and you will see it should test most makes of regulator

bill

9. MrOPEguy

MrOPEguy LawnSite Member

here is a .pdf exert from the Kohler manual. It covers various amperage systems. This will be useful on most Kohler charging systems.

Attached Files:

10. BILLSMOWERS

thank you very much for your help

bill