kohler RPM

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DaughtryLC, Jun 1, 2008.

1. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Someone tell me how to check the RPM on a cv25 kohler and the max with the blades on. Also the best way to adjust, thanks

2. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

You could buy a tacho gage that gives accurate rpm readings.

Or if you have a laptop with a mic. you can install a shareware software called RPM Engine tacho. It was designed for R/C but does well with any engine and since it works on acoustics there's no wires to meddle with. Just position the laptop near the engine and that's it.

3. DaughtryLC

I will be useing and meter just to adjust\check RPMs

4. jkilov

from MS

So it's equipped with a rev meter... um... aha... why did'nt you say so? Makes it a lot easier.

On the Kawasaki I use there is a plate on which the throttle cable is screwed to. Above the throttle cable there are 2 bolts that hold it in place. Loosen them and then move the plate to the left I think. Check the revs after.

5. DaughtryLC

Right................. Do you know the max Im thinking 3600 to 3750, on the kohler is there a srew for the high RPM at the cable

6. jkilov

from MS

For Kohler 3750 is max. I think. Check in your owners manual.

Don't know for sure how to adjust it. Usually it's set at the factory and not to be meddled with. When adjusting make sure nothing is bogging the engine down (i.e. bad clutch) and always do it under no load.

Just fallow the throttle cable. Typically there is a bracket with a lever on it. Cable attaches to one end and a spring to the other providing pre-tension on the governor arm. The bracket usually sports a screw or two that act as lever stops. Adjusting them controls min/max governor rpm.

The setup differs, so I'm not sure what you have, especially if it's an EFI.

7. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

The RPM should be adjusted by the equipment recommendations not the engine.