Kohler Starter Lubricant (any good?)

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mcambrose, Sep 26, 2005.

1. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I have had trouble with a kohler starter (nippondenso brand) sticking on my 20 hp walker. Last time I cleaned it I put some graphite lubricant on shaft and it lasted a couple of months. The solenoid has been replaced, so I am sure that is in good shape. Kohler make a starter lubricant PN 52-357-02. Has anyone tried this lubricant. I'll have to order it because no one has any locally and with shipping it will be more than $10. I have to take the engine out to remove the starter, so I really don't want to fool with trying the lubricant unless someone else has had some experience with it. Otherwise I guess I will try to buy a starter on Ebay.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I have never tried the kohler starter lube, I use Polaris watercraft and 4 wheeler starter lube that has a graphite base and have had no problems. The part # is 2871460 and sells for 7.99 a tube, I use this because we keep it in stock.

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I use a graphite lubricant I got from a lock smith. It is a liquid and I wanted a paste so I poured it into a cup and let the liquid carrier dry out so it is now a paste. I never liked the Kohler starter lubricant, it seems to dry out and cause the starter to act up. The Kohler starter lubricant is a soap base lubricant, what ever that is.

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Have to take the engine out to get the starter off? Is this a Walker? We have a over head lift and I have found that it is quicker and easyer to take the blower box out to get to the starter on Walkers. And this way you can test the starter on the machine real easy before putting it all back together. So is this is on a Walker and you can get under it, taking the blower box out is the best way to go. If this is a Walker tell me more, I know a bit about Kohler/Walker starter problems

5. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

Yes sir, this is a Walker. I see your point it would indeed be much better to remove the blower as you suggested. Restorob suggested using a graphite based lubricant from Polaris, so I was going to try it. Do you have any other suggestions? My starters are all of the nippondenso variety. Thanks for any help.

Mel