Kohler starters

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MOOSE, Feb 18, 2003.

1. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Guys, Wanted to know some info about the Kohler starter with solenoid attached. I have read that you should clean them (take apart) yearly, is this true. And what will go first the solenoid or starter. I have a Kohler cv25 and it doesn't want to turnover very good anymore. In warm garage and brand new battery and cables. Plus I checked connections. This motor has 125 hours on it. Could I of damaged starter by trying to crank it over for 2 long.
    All help I really appreciate..
    thanks

2. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

I never took mine apart to clean yearly. It is not common for a starter to go out no more hours than you have on it. but not impossible. I would take the spark plugs out and see how it spins the motor then. If it still don't spin too good it could be the starter. Also I have seen the magnet come loose under the flywheel and make quite a mess. If you don't have the equipment to check the starter out maybe you could take it off and take it to a repair shop. We have a place where I live that will check for free. He is usually cheaper on rebuilding than buying new too. Real handy.

3. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg LawnSite Member

I've never heard of cleaning the starter on a yearly basis. In my experience, the starters are bulletproof. If you cranked for a long time (more than 20-30 seconds) and did not let it cool between cranks, then you could have a problem.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Cleaning a Kohler starter is part of the yearly maintenance routine according to the Kohler factory service manual I have. I would take it back to where you bought it and let them worry about it. It should be about brand-new with only 125 hours on it.

5. Mr.Wrench

Mr.Wrench LawnSite Member
    from N.H.

CV25 starters are usually pretty tough, unless like previously stated you crank it to long and cook the stater :blob2: . The usual problem with those starters is the solenoid getting corroded and not engaging. Another problem with the CV25 is that since it's vertical all the dirt seems to pack into the starter very nicely. Anyway, Check your voltage drop at the starter while cranking, with a digital voltage meter. Voltage should not drop below 9 volts. Besides all this, isn't your machine still under full warantee with only 125 hours on it?
    Josh

6. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

I don't kow if under warranty. I had an old rider with a horizontal and took that off and replaced it with a new vertical kohler motor. The motor I bought off eBay and Don't know if it's covered. I've been having troubles with getting it started. It's winter though. But still shouldn't be as hard as it is to start.

7. Mr.Wrench

Mr.Wrench LawnSite Member
    from N.H.

Moose, if your trying to start your engine with SAE30 weight oil in M.I. and its the middle of winter:eek: Of course your engine isn't going to want to turn over. Its almost like a blender full of crazy glue. Try using 5w30 in the winter below 32 degrees. And rememeber that a Battery looses 1% of it's charge every day below 55 degrees while sitting. During the summer use Kohler oil 10w30 part number 25-357-06 for your CV25.

8. danny van hoozer

danny van hoozer LawnSite Member

Had the same problem last spring with my command 25 starter. Hit the key and would click. Keep turning the key on and off and it would finally hit. This got worse and worse until it would't do nothing. I took the starter off and took it to our local guy that rebuilds starters and altnators and just about any other ignation problem you would have. He sprayed the starter gear and shaft with alittle WD-40 and hooked it up to his bench. He turned the key and it worked as good as new. He said that where it is mounted on the engine it gets alot of dust and grass and every thing else you would encounter while mowing. So this will be a annual spring thing to do every year from now on.