1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

kohler surging

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 2 man crew, Jun 2, 2002.

1. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

I'm having a problem with a Kohler 20hp. When it's running at full throttle it surges and sputters. If I back the throttle down to half it runs fine. I replaced the fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs and cleaned the carb. It still does the same thing at full throttle. I can feather the choke to about half and get it to run ok at full throttle.
    Has anyone had this problem? Or know what it might be?
  2. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: 2 man, you can move the govenoer spring, if it is a vertical shaft engine its almost right behind the muffler, use a pair of needle nose pliers and try moving up one hole and see, if not try backing down a hole or 2, tony
  3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Clean and blow out the carb with compressed air. The main jet or passage is partially plugged. You don't have a fuel feed or governor problem since you can apply some choke to fix the problem.
  4. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the help.
    I went to clean the carb again and I noticed the gasket between the carb and engine block was worn. so I used a little gasket seal. Put the carb back on and it ran great. Should work fine untill I get a new gasket.