Kohler ticking extremely loud on hill?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2k1yzfr1, Sep 27, 2005.

1. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a couple year old 36" exmark with a 15 Kohler and have been having some abnormal ticking here and there mostly it seems when the mower is on an incline. Today I was mowing along a ditch that wasn't that steep, but the mower started making an ungodly noise. What would cause it to make more noise when on an incline? BTW I am using 10-30 Amsoil and have been since the first of the season. Any idea what the deal is? Or what I can do to fix it?

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Low oil level maybe????

3. 2k1yzfr1

right on the full mark.

4. 2k1yzfr1

Well I think I solved my ticking problem, but have discovered another problem. I checked the oil level this past wednesday and it was on the full mark now it was 1/2 way between the add and the end of the dipstick. Looks like I need to look for the oil leak/burning problem and it might cure the tick. :realmad:

5. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I think you void your warranty if you don't check it at the start of each day. there as a guy who had the same thing that you are explaining happen, but he didn't check his oil for two weeks, and the engine siezed.

6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Nothing to say bad about Koh engines, but it seems to me that all smaller Koh have had some problems all the times except its 27 koh. I can't see how and why only one particular model is good and the rest is having problems there and here. Not only you have that ticking thing, there are many who run koh and have various problems, white smoke, leaks, shot, dying on hills, low torque, etc.

7. 2k1yzfr1

Funny thing my 27 kohler on a 52" toro Z is in the shop with under 400 hours getting the intake gasket replaced.

8. jc50292

jc50292 LawnSite Member

I had a kohler command 15 make an ungodly noise. I had noticed the engine burning oil after about 20 hours. I kept changing it every 50...it burned up at 136 hours. They said dirt was introduced to the engine due to improper maintenance. Pttthhhhhpppptttttttt!!!
    I had changed the oil 3 times at that point. Cleaned the air filter(prefilter) every day. Checked the oil EVERY TIME before starting it. Teaching my kids the way to take care of the stuff they will eventually have themselves. I was using 10W40, should have been using 10W30, but that wasn't the reason for the dirt. I spoke to Kohler, and a technician that used to work on the engines said that the tube running from the bottom of the carbueretor to the valve cover sometimes vibrates loose, allowing dirt to get sucked into the carb. He said he's seen it happen. Well, long story short, after many excuses, the dealer honored the warranty. I had noticed before, that there would be a fine grit in the carbueretor throat. The dealer said that Kohler told him it was impossible to keep all dirt out of the engine. I put some gasket maker around that tube where it enters the valve cover and guess what? NO MORE GRIT! Hmmmmm.....

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If you don't have a leak then it's burning it. Before you do anything else try this. Remove the Amsoil and replace it with a conventional 10w30 like Penzoil or whatever you like. Check your RPM and make sure you're not over 3600 with the blades on. Do those 2 things and see if it stops using oil (assuming you've checked for leaks).

10. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Could it be valve lifter noise? I have a 15hp Command Pro and it was making some ticking sounds also. Mechanic said it was the lifters and recommended Motorcraft 10w-30 Heavy Duty Diesel oil. That was way back in spring, no noise since then. Runs quiet and still starts easily, and uses very little oil.