1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kohler troubles

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by RedWolf, May 10, 2005.

1. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

I have a 5022 dixon with a 22 hp kohler.The trouble in havein is you can choke the carb and the motor acts like it want to run but when you open the choke it will die and back fire.I have rebuilt the carb then replaced it.I have checked the timing and valves.I have also replaced the coils. thanks for any help you can offer.

Kohler 22 OHV
    family SKH624H1G2RB
    model CV22S
    spec 67514
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

How old is this mower?
    Have you replaced the fuel filter?
  3. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Yes Sir.i have also flushed the fuel tanks and replaced the fuel pump.But it still does the same thing.I would say about 8 9 years old.the shop i work gave it to me because they got it as a trade in and they couldnt get it running.
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Have you checked to make sure you are getting voltage to the fuel shut-off solenoid ? Is the green ground wire hooked to the carb. ?
  5. mike76

mike76 LawnSite Member

You might want to pull the valve covers off and check to see if the valves are opening and closing like they should. If they you might want to put a engine leak down tester or a compression gauge to see if one of the valves is carboned up. If both are ok try some marvel mystery oil in the crankcase to make sure the hydrolic lifter arnt sticking. Good luck.
  6. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

thanks im at my shop now and have some.ill try it right now and let you know if it worked.i love my shop on one a round here for miles
  7. wushaw

wushaw LawnSite Member

Re-check the timing, check the carb over again, also make sure the spark plug is a good one.
  8. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

Recently had a Problem with a 20 Kohler that sounds similar to this. Started with one bad coil. replaced, It would act as if was going to start, as long as you had the key in the start position and backfire also. When the key was let go to the run position it would not run. Kohler tech suggested checking the diodes. replaced them after checking. Ran great after that. Doides control carb. solenoid and firing in start and run positions of engine.
  9. jubiljoe

jubiljoe LawnSite Member

I have seen some kohler engines rolling the cam lobes due to a new mfg of the hydro lifters. as the last guy said check to make sure you are getting full and symmetrical movement of both valves on each head.

God bless
  10. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Gaut,

When you replaced the diodes, were you able to just solder new ones inline, or did you have to replace the whole wiring harness?