Kohler vs Kaw Engine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chopper67, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Chopper67

Chopper67 LawnSite Member

Whats you opinions, I was looking at snapper mowers and they offer both?
    anyone have any Idea's

2. bkramer0057

bkramer0057 LawnSite Member

If possible, run two different machines of the same horsepower at the same time. Listen to the Kohler vs. the Kawasaki. Then make your decision. :)

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Very interesting concept for evaluating engines!

Please explain what we should listen for with both these engines running at the same time. Should they be facing each other or side by side, also, where should the listener stand?

Oldtimer

4. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

For me, facing west works the best and wearing ear plugs. Also, cocking your head just a bit will improve the listening.

5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

All of the dealers that I have spoken to, I have asked the same question. Every one of them has said that the Kawasaki engine is the better of the two. And, they all said that the service that you get from Kawasaki when you have a problem is the best.

6. Tony1045

Tony1045 LawnSite Member

My two cents. They are both great engines, no argument there. But I think you'll find that the Kawasaki has more torque. This is just my opinion but it is derived from experience as well as the knowledge of an experienced mechanic/neighbor/cousin, who services my equipment and many other LCO's Tony :drinkup:

7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Our Kohler is a lot better on gas then our Kawasaki, just thought you would like to know

8. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I've had both,I like kaw better.

Before I ever bought a commerical mower,I just point blank asked 13 dealers what was better engine-12said kaw.

9. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

A dealer here in Fairfax, VA, said that Kawasaki was better for the smaller engines (he said Kawasaki had a deeper history with smaller engines than with larger ones), but that for larger engines--my guess is that he was discussing 20hp and higher-- Kohler was a superior engine.

Regarding the torque and fuel economy claims, it may be understandable if we conclude that there is an inverse relationship between those two features.

10. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

Just what happened with me:

I've used both, i've had more problems with kohler, but I'd stand behind either one. They are both good products. I'll second the kawa's taking more fuel. :realmad: