1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kohler vs. Kaw. ? is there much difference

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dlk, Apr 6, 2002.

1. dlk

dlk LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Looking for feedback on powerplants for a z with 60" deck. Options are

1. 25 Hp Kohler Command Pro Twin

2. 25 Hp Kaw. Twin

3. 26 Hp Kohler Command EFI Twin

Option 1 & 2 are same price. Option 3 is about $900 more.

This is going on a Gravely. I chose Gravely over eXmark because the dealer is 10 min. away and I know them. eXmark dealer is over 1hr. away and dont know them. My use is residential only mowing 11 acers.
  2. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I have only good things to say about my 25 HP Kohler. I have about 1000 hours on it, with no problems. I can't comment on the Kawasaki. I have never used one that big.

As for the 26 HP I have heard good things about them. Walker uses them and claim a 30% decrease in fuel usage.

I have a 52" deck for my Walker, and the 25 HP turns it great. It does use a fair amount of gas when working that hard. I have used a 62" deck on it as well with little different results.
  3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont have a 25hp kawasaki, but do have a 23hp kawasaki on a 52 lazer, and it has good power for the unit. When I do purchase another mower, I will definetley go with the kohler engine, because of the heavy duty air filters that can be put on them.
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have the 25 horse Kohler and it has been a very good engine thus far. They did have problems a few years ago with head gaskets but they haven't had any problems recently.

A friend of mine does have the 23 Kaw and has problems with it. It seems to have a serious problem with dust leaking around the aircleaner and today he noticed that the valves are rapping real bad on one side of the engine. The engine only has 250 hours on it.