1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kohler vs Kawasaki

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by nate1422, Oct 11, 2005.

1. nate1422

nate1422 LawnSite Member

I have a 2004 ExMark Metro 48", pistol grips with 15 hp kawasaki. I have the opportunity to even up trade for a used 2005 Metro 48" with 2 wheel velke attachment and ECS grips with the Kohler. Is it a wash with the engines or is there one better than the other, any drawbacks. Personally I like the ECS grips and was in the market for a stand-on so this solves that problem.
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, They both have their problems. Kawasaki with coils and Kohler with head gaskets. So It's your call !
  3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Kohler makes water faucets and engines, kawi sticks to engines, up to you!
  4. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly, would you buy an engine from a company that makes TOILETS? I'll stick to Kawasaki thanks! I've had NO problems with the Kawasaki engines on my mowers. They always start easily, and have a ton of torque and power! It's your call though :rolleyes: .
  5. nate1422

nate1422 LawnSite Member

I'm sticking with the Kawasaki, thanks for the input.
  6. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

7. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

if the condition of the mowers is about the same, i'd switch in a heartbeat. ECS is a lot nicer, especially when cutting along fences. Oh, ECS will not get you in the groin either. I have kohler and kawi engines and am indifferent about them. I have a 12.5 kohler and kawi, both on belt drives and 36" decks. The kohler seems to have a ton more power. Both start easy and make money. quit walking and start riding.
  8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have had decent luck with both, but have had a little better luck with the Kohler. Now siince I said that....:D
  9. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with you!!! One reason I will go with the Kohler is because it's much better on gas. Also starts better in cold weather!!!!:)

M RASCOE&SONS LawnSite Bronze Member

i put my 60 laser with 27liquid cooled kawi up against any 27hpkohler and she will walk all over them!