Kohler vs. Kawasaki

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FinerCutslawnCare, Jan 25, 2006.

1. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys, kinda new but was wondering what do you guys like and dislike and which one do you think is better??? thanks!:rolleyes:
  2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Try doing a search for it. It's been discussed many, many times.
  3. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I have a kaw. on my walkbehind (12.5hp) its about 12 years old and runs great still. I have a Kohler on my super z (300 hours) great engine. Easy to start too. I have a Briggs vanguard on a ferris 52" walkbehind with about 100hours and its doing good too. I know a guy with a 23hp kaw. that has 1,300 hours on it and still going and another with a 22hp Kohler with 2,200 hours. Take good care of it and it should last. Gaskets will go here or there on either one at some point but thats just small stuff.
  4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have a kaw. on my JD and a Kohler on the exmark. I like the way the kaw. runs and fires up over the kohler but have had good luck with both. I will say on my last mower with the kaw. had a hard time getting the company to honor ANY warranty work.
  5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have both, the kawasaki seems to have a little more torque than the kohler but overall both engines are ok

6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I think it's more about personal preference than which is actually better. Any engine line will have a few bad ones. Any of the commerical engines will last if proper maintainence is done regularly.
  7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I prefer the American engines Kohler and Briggs. I've had too many problems with the foriegn motors
  8. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

A local dealer told me to avoid the Kohler Courage series at all costs. The Command series is good.
  9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Kawi, hands down. :)
  10. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Do a search. I have Kawa on John Deere WB. Great - never a problem. I have Kawa on 2 Z's and 1 Kohler on a Z. Kawa has more torque and power I think but is alot noisier vs the kohler. I have honda engines on a pump, power screed machine, a packer, a Little wonder blower, a power rake, aeration machine,. Some are brand new others are 10 years old. Not one problem yet. I have a briggs on a log splitter - that is always needing something done.

It is up to you - amount of money you want to spend - kawa being more.