Kohler vs Kawasaki

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GCS LawnService, Apr 25, 2002.

1. GCS LawnService

GCS LawnService LawnSite Member

I have been shopping for a new mower and the mower that is in use now has a 25 hp Kohler. The new mower that I have been considering has a 25 hp Kawasaki. The only complaint I have heard about the Kawasaki is they are very thirsty when it comes to fuel consumption. The complaints about the Kohler were numerous from a local dealer but considering that he a tailhole I really did not expect anything different from him. I know this is like a Ford vs Chevy question but I wanted some more opinions from all ya'll.

2. swn

swn LawnSite Member

I have had 3 25 hp kohlers and 1 18 hp. No complaints

3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Every Koehler I've ever owned has had problems, BIG problems. However, Koehler seems to be very good about fixing the problems with their engines. My current machine has my first Kawasaki engine in it (23HP)and with only 180 hours on it there hasn't been any problems yet. I will say though, that just from the sound of the starter, I doubt it will last long before I'll have to replace it. Time will tell. I don't notice any different fuel consumption between the two.

4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 23hp kaw, and a 17 hp kawasali motor and hey do pretty good. The 23 does eat some gas though. I will be buying a kohler motor on next purchase. I would do his because of the heavy duty air filters that kohler has and kawasai doesn't....This could add some life to the motor.

5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Kawasaki and Kohlers.

You can get good economy from the thirsty Kawasaki by not running it full speed. My Kawasaki 25 has so much more power than my Kohlers that 3/4 throttle Kawi=more power than wide-open Kohler. The different motors are on otherwise identical mowers so it is a good comparison.

As far as reliability, I own 4 Kohlers and 4 Kawasakis.

I have never had any trouble from a Kohler.

The Kawasakis have dropped valves, (2) bad starters, (3)bad carburetors, (1) dead coil.

My Kohlers are way cheaper to own, maintain, and fuel.

Ken

6. ow man

ow man LawnSite Member

Premo Services, Look for the new heavy duty air cleaners coming out some time this year on Kawi engines. Toro has already got a 27hp with one on it.

Albemarle Lawn, is your Kawi engine that you are running at partial throttle a liquid cooled or air cooled? If it is air cooled, you need to run the engine at full throttle. An air cooled engine runs much cooler at full throttle. They are designed this way. Maybe this is why you are dropping valves? Heat build up can do about as much damage as lack of lubrication.

7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Iv'e owned both and had problems with both. Kohler does seem to be a little better about fixing problems but my dealer said Kawi's are getting better about this. I don't buy a mower based on which engine is on it. Theres good and bad in both.

8. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never owned a larger HP Kawasaki, but I can tell you from the 6HPs that I have they are MUCH easier on fuel than a Briggs.
    I have had plenty of experience with Kohler, and no serious complaints. My dad has a Kohler 12HP that has been sorely abused in a 79 JD lawn tractor, still runs and has never been torn down.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how things work for you.

9. danzig

danzig LawnSite Member

A kawasaki will outlast a kohler period. I have both engines and i prefer the kawi to the kohler. Fuel consumption is similar for both engines. The kawi seems to have more power than the kohler. Kohler doesnt seem to be as tight on specs as kawi. I find more outdoor products with a kawi than a kohler. Buy the kawi.

10. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a kohler 15 and love it. carbs seem to be more troublesome on kawi's. i know the kohler has a walbro carb on it, not sure what kawi uses.