kohler vs vanguard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BZB_Helpers, Sep 15, 2005.

which engine

1. Kohler command pro 28hp

2. B&S Vanguard 33/35hp

3. Robin 25hp

1. BZB_Helpers

BZB_Helpers LawnSite Member

i have aquired a late 60's to early 70's 72" outfront jacobsen mower. it has a opposed twin 23hp 58 cubic inch kohler, which is the second one on the machine but its not going to last too long. a shortblock for this engine is over $2000 so im looking for newer alternatives. im thinking either a 33 or 35hp vanguard or a 27hp kohler command or a 28hp kohler command pro.
    i need the engine to be rebuildable atleast once.
    i need the most replaced parts to be cheap, unlike now that an ignition coil costs $125
    the engine will run synthetic oil and a bypass filter.
    what are your thoughts?
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Go with the vanguard...more hp !!!
  3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

55 hp, 1 liter, 3 cylinder, 993 cc suzuki from a '94 geo metro. :laugh:

i'll post pics when im done
  4. BZB_Helpers

im sure the geo engine will fit under the hood but i would have to modify the mounting,carburation,pulleys, plus liquid cooled is too much. right now this 23hp engine is a torque monster compared to the previous owners new 25hp kohler command on his new tractor, so thats why im going up in hp for the new engine.
  5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Get a 35 hp LC Vanguard.
  6. BZB_Helpers

anyone know how much the 35hp costs? i know the 31hp model costs between $1800 to $2300 depending from which retailer. i havent called my local dealers yet.
  7. BZB_Helpers

the only difference between the vanguard and the kohler is that the kohler has hydraulic lifters while on the vanguard you have to adjust the valve clearance the first 50hrs then every 250hrs.
    anyone know the difference between the command and the command pro series?
  8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I think the 28 Kohler is Fuel Injected???
  9. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Bigger oil, fuel, and air filters and I think they also have longer lasting spark plugs.
  10. marvinlee

marvinlee LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

The engine companies' web sites have detailed specs on their engines. The big block Vanguard commercial series engines are a more recent design than their smaller line of V-twins. The big engines weigh much more, have large displacements, and represent an intermediate engine quality between the smaller aircooled engines and the three-cylinder cast iron block diesels. It is unlikely that the engine would weigh much more than the old Kohler which had an aluminum crankcase with cast iron cylinders.