Kohler won't start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by pasto_guy, Sep 22, 2004.

1. pasto_guy

pasto_guy LawnSite Member
    from VA

Well I have a 26 horse kohler on a toro 62" ZTR. Here recently the mower would rev real hard and run real strong (Stronger than normal) for about two or three minutes after you turn the pto on. Well today was no different until it wouldn't start after about half a days work. I've got about 655 hours on it. No EFI on this engine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Check first to see if it getting a spark. If it is then check to see if its getting fuel.

3. pasto_guy

from VA

this might sound dumb but how do see if it is getting fuel?

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Have you checked the spark?

To check if your getting fuel just take the fuel line loose from the carburetor and see if fuel runs out of it.

5. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

this is somewhat common i guess.... thisd happened to me a while back and i checked and did evrything i could think of and everything the dealer said to check... it ended up being the fuel filter apparently it had some dirt in it and was clogged somehow... i would change the fuel filter... just make sure when u put the new on on you put it on the right direction for the flow of gas... ie make sure it not on backwards.. it will only cost you a few dollars to do it yourself.......

6. pasto_guy

from VA

Thanks for the help, I'm going to go the shop in an hour and check the fuel. Spark should be fine because I put new plugs in today. I also have a new fuel filter so I'll try that as well