kohler wont stay running

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by leej, Feb 22, 2008.

1. leej

leej LawnSite Member

my kohler engine (CV16S) will not continue to run after start up. It runs for approx. 3 seconds and then stops. You have to pour a bit of gas in the carb. to get it started and then is immediately stops. The carb has been cleaned and it appears to be getting gas. I assume the electrical is OK or it wouldn't run at all. Help.....

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

First let me start by saying WELCOME TO LAWNSITE:waving:

You have a fuel issue, if you pour gas into the carb and it runs off that fuel then dies this shows me that your carb is not pulling its own fuel from the bowl. You say the carb has been cleaned please tell me exactly what you have done to this point or explain how you cleaned the carb.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Another thing to check is the fuel cut-off solenoid holding the float bowl in place (if equipped). Make sure you have power (battery voltage) going into it and that it clicks when you turn the key to the run position.

4. MowerMedic77

Good point Rob, forgot some of these have the solenoid.

5. leej

leej LawnSite Member

it has a new fuel solenoid which does click when the ign is turned on...carb was removed and dipped in cleaning solution. all orifices seem clear...the starting prob. existed prior to cleaning the carb...thanks.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would replace that inline fuel filter for the time being, knock out one possibility at a time, the air filter too.
    Don't forget to turn the gas back on after you replace the fuel filter, and make sure the tank has a good amount in it heheh

7. leej

leej LawnSite Member

has new air and fuel filter...will try more fuel in tank. Thanks

8. MowerMedic77

Now you need to check that the power stays @ the solenoid when the key switch goes from start to run. Make a quick jumper wire from the solenoid the battery positive cable and try and start, just make sure to disconnect after you shut it down. If it does stay running you need to trace back to find out were you are loosing the 12volts @ to the solenoid.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

How about the spark plug, gap .030, just to be sure.

Beyond that might pull the carb bowl. Watch out there's some small parts like to go flying but clean all that out with either compressed air or some carb cleaner, make sure that float is moving freely.

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Good point MM,
    I had a Dixie come in last week with hard/no start and found the customer replaced the switch with the wrong one. It was in deed dropping power half way through the start position swing.