Kohler

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DaughtryLC, Jun 4, 2008.

1. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Is it true that kohler has a service bulletin about engine chater on 2000 and older? I have a 23hp and at first I thought it was lifter noise when its first cranked up for about 30sec or so. Called my mechanic and he said something about the older kohler not haveing a way for the air to escape the lifter and that's the noise I'm hearing? It has about 800hrs and runs strong, doesn't use oil. Some days Ill mow and never here it and some days I think I here it when cutting but I maybe paranoid! I was told the new Kohlers have this problem fixed?

2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah. The newer Kohlers have a bigger "pump up" hole, which lets oil into the lifter quicker, so the noise goes away sooner.

Unless you are using oil, don't worry about it.

EDIT - Short of that, if you have them tear down the engine for any reason, see if they can put in the new style lifters.

3. DaughtryLC

But, I think I'm hearing this when I cut. Will mobil 1 syn help? When I say I hear this its very little and it quits before I'm done cutting

4. DaughtryLC

Anyone else with this issue?

5. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

What's your engine model?

6. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Are you using 10W-30 oil as specified?

7. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

In April 2001 Kohler made a change to the breather system on the CV twin cylinder engines to better allow air to excape from the lifter area and reduce lifter noise. If your engine was built prior to April 2001 you can install a kit that may take care of your noise. The kit part number is 24 755 135-S. Since your engine has been like this since it was built you should have had the noise since new. If the noise just started you may have another issue.

8. DaughtryLC

I got the mower used and have put about 80hrs on it and have heard this for 20 or so, but its really gottin hot here so I no the oil is thinner. My mechanic said to let it ride, just trying to see if you all have the same problem. And yes 10w-30, Im thinking of syn to see if this helps?

9. fly-4-fun

fly-4-fun LawnSite Member

I have a CV25 on a Bobcat that has the same problem you do. I switched to Mobil 1 syn. oil and have not had the problem since. Someone on this forum said that the Mobil oil didn't get as much foam in it as regular dino oil and that helped with the lifter noise.

It helped mine, you could give it a try. My engine has about 730 hrs. on it and still runs strong.

10. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

If you do not use 10W-30 the lifters will sound like they are going to jump out and run off down the road. You can not use SAE 30 in Kohlers engine that have hydraulic lifters unless you want it to sound like it is going to fly apart