Koi pond rock Q

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Lance L, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Lance L

Lance L LawnSite Senior Member

one customer has a large pond with koi and goldfish in it, its dirty, i cleaned a bunch of string algae out of it at the end of jan but it has alot of poo/dirt in it... so the water looks merky... its only 4 ft deep and can only see down a ft to ft 1/2, the bottom has alot of i guess its called river rock(the smooth round rocks)? and i think i read somewhere on here that fish ponds shouldnt have anything on the bottoms but the liner? there is no filtration, i believe it was built as a water garden and then they decided to put fish in it, i would like to get it looking good and and keep it that way, i may need to drain it again to clean it or what should i do to have clear water again? if it ever had it in the first place....

thanks

2. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

I would start with throwing a sub pump in the deepest part and try to suck as much sludge ( if any) out you can. this will not only remove the sludge but lower the water, (water change) and then remove what small rock you can.
    I would suggest a 50% water change to start with.
    wash down the waterfall/stream if there is one.

And install and adequate filtration system

I would repeat this process a few weeks later minus installing a filtration system:) , draining about 50%. This will help you remove a large amount of sludge and debris which is contributing to the algae growth.

Stir up the pond as often as you or the customer can allowing particles to make their way into the filter. Clean filter weekly if not more.

3. Lance L

Lance L LawnSite Senior Member

what type of filtration system would be used? its a good sized pond, 2 falls i stream, would it be like a inline filter? alot of digging remodeling involved? could you point me to somewhere that has what you are telling me?

would you just move the rock around or would u remove it from the pond all together?

ty, wish the guys in the hardscaping forum were as good of help as u!!

4. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member