komatsu or cat

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by P.Services, Oct 15, 2008.

1. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i think i have it narrowed down to a pc78mr-6 or a 308c cr. the 305 and 50d are just way to small for what i need to do. a pc88 is really a great size machine but is hard to find used. as always im looking for ideas and opinions.

either machine is getting a 14'' trencher a 30'' digger and a 48'' tilting ditcher and a hydro coupler and a hydro thumb and a custom maid set of forks for setting stone.

this is a VERY likely candidate

http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...6559106&GUID=04029ADEB186497EB0979F3624DF34EA

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The machine does not appear to be plumbed for a thumb, thats a couple K easy. The price is good, looks real good.

3. P.Services

i have talked to my kom. dealer and he said its realy no big deal to plumb it to the stick, under a grand if i get the thumb from them.

i think thats a great price, its hard to find a 308c cr with lower hours on it for less then 60k.

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Pretty good price, almost gray market good. Plumbing the aux. is no big deal, they usually cut you a package deal if you install thumb, hydraulic coupler, etc.. Get yourself a PNW built PSM or HPF progressive link thumb along with a hydraulic coupler of your choice on that beast and go to work. The 78's are very popular machines out here, probably the most dominant I'd wager. It's a great size between the 5 ton minis and 120s.

5. 2004F550

2004F550 LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like a good buy, I have always thought this class was under utilized in my area, it seems like it could do a lot of work.

6. oakhillslandscaping

oakhillslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

guy near me has that same machine and then another one two sizes up that one gets used the most it hardly ever sits , i ran a komatsu pc35 for a month and i was really impressed way more then i was running a 304 cat good luck with what ever you get

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Its a good deal but I would be looking at it in person before laying down any moolah. I never seen a PC78 with a swing boom there are two contractors with 2007 PC78s they have a fixed boom.

Another thing that makes me curious why is there aftermarket tracks on the machine only overseas Komatsu come with those style tracks.

I would be checking to see if thats a gray market machine.

As for auxilary plumbing the valving is there for it just need to run the hard lines and install the thumb switch in the cab. Komatsu uses a multi control joystick the brandname I don't remember. It may have it already or may not it is the right hand joystick it has 2 buttons and a trigger like a gun.

As for Cat or Komatsu I would go with the Komatsu they are a little cheaply constructed but otherwise a good machine. If you get claustaphobia like I do you may not like the Komatsu cab :laugh:

8. P.Services

i wasnt aware that those tracks were only avalible grey, i will look into that tomorrow. i wouldnt bother me if it was grey, my dads 200 is and it looks and runs the same as any other 200. no problem to get parts either.

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I would be looking into it to see if its a gray market machine. The machine is a 2006 the paint is awfully shiny. There is quite a few companys that buy Komatsu machines from overseas give them a new paint job and make them look like a north american machine.

Lots of PC75s were done like this you open up any of the panels and the machine has the original Komastu purple and blue.

10. P.Services

i thought that about the paint being shiny new also, i will find out. i need to get my a$$ moving im tierd of spending mucho $ on rentals.