Komatsu PC220LC-6

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by wanabe, Feb 2, 2007.

1. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Anyone know anything good/bad about the Komatsu machines? I am looking at a 1996 PC220LC-6 that has 6000 hrs on it. Price is not bad, but just concerned that it could have a major failure in the near future. Thanks!
  2. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC LawnSite Member

I have a Komatsu engine on my old green machine back pack blower and I can't kill it.
    The damn thing just wont give up.
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

How is the undercarriage? 6,000 hours can be a lot of hours, but if its just been sitting in a pit, then the undercarriage may be in great shape.

Thats a big machine.
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

6,000 hours is just about time for an undercarriage if it's been walked around a whole lot. I'd check the carriage carefully. I wouldn't pass off the entire machine just for the undercarriage, but leave some room for negotiating if need be.
  5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

You can also sample the engine oil and hyd. oil. A point to be aware of is that taking a one time sample can be misleading at times. However I think it can point to spec. problems. Considering what a main pump and Komatsu engine could cost it might be worth the effort. I bought a high houred 9020B. I replaced the turbo and took care of leaks and other small things. Total cost 4K.
  6. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

The UC is listed at 70%, but I have not seen it. What is the best way to pull engine oil, and hyd oil samples? I realy do not want to start wrenching on a machine that is not mine. Any motor or pump failures in the 6000 hr range?
  7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I'am not sure if I would buy a Komatsu that old :confused:

The only way to tell is get into the machine and start shaking it around and see what starts flopping around. If the boom is flopping and the pins are worn out or when you swing the stop abruptly the house shouldn't really swing back and forth.

Its going to be hard to tell when the hyraulic pumps are going to fail there is no way of telling. If they blow they blow the engine if its seen regular oil changes it should be fine.

They say the undercarriage is 70% it might be more or less get your hands into the track chains check for wear, how does the grouser bars look are they worn smooth :laugh:

When you run your fingers over the sprocket teeth do you start bleeding :laughing:

How does the final drives look are they oozing fluid ?

When your buying a used excavator expect for unexpected repairs.
  8. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,454 asked several questions. Yes, Komatsu is a good machine. Second part is about a used machine that is 10-11 years old. I agree with all the previous posts full heartedly....let me add this (from a guy who has purchased a used machine). Caution is the watch word here. Do all the above on the posts and that machine better "shine" in every white-glove-test or pass....I mean RUN!
    What looks like a good deal, may in fact, eat your financial lunch and you may have been better off purchasing a new machine, making payments and flipping it in 3-5 years depending on your business plan. If you don't think you're gonna spend money fixing up a used machine, that is just wishful thinking and pure fantasy. KSSS has gotten lucky with spending only 4K and I would bet that is not the norm. With what I have spent on repairs and fix up, in hindsight, it would have been cheaper to buy a new machine for $110,000 and start fresh. If I am seeming long winded it is because I have been on the wrong side of the coin toss and it is not a pleasant experience. As an example, I just got my machine out of the shop ( 3000 hrs on machine) and had to replace 15 internal hoses, one cracked pump and a bunch of other magic........cost $10K. Now, that isn't fun! I have researched extensively on the web and talking with business owners.......most guys that have survived will not consider buying a used excavator that is over 5 years old for a myriad of reasons which all boil down to repairs/downtime and loss of income stream. So, with that all said, if you are going to buy this bad-boy make sure you pay less than you think you should on the initial purchase price because there will definately be fix-up costs!
  9. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

How many hours does it take before a excavator starts turning into a money pit?

What about a 3-5 year old machine with 3000-3500 hours?

10. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Wanabe.....if you still want to look at this machine, here's another little quick trick that may save your bacon that no one really talks about. If the machine has new paint or even if it doesn't.....take a magnet and run it all over the boom and stick and see if there is any bondo or repairs hidden under that paint. If the magnet falls off an area, it has been cosmetically patched........walk away. Check for any cracks, broken welds, repaired welds. Take the cowling off and look at the internal pumps and hoses....if they are weeping or prepared. If you want to go further, you can take it to a shop and have them run a hydraulic pressure test which will give you a good idea on the condition of the pumps/drive motors. How do I know all this? I have a Graduate Degree from the School of Hard Knocks......there are alot of guys out there waiting to pick your pocket, so if you are not willing to do all the above homework from all the above are better off going to Vegas and putting all your cash on either red or black and throw the dice just one will have better odds of success there.