Komatsu skid steer's and CTL's

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Fieldman12, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay where are all the Komatsu fan's out there? I have been around there excavators and dozers some and was impressed. Im surprised we dont have anyone on here with a Komatsu skid or CTL. Any word yet as to how well they are doing out there?

2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Our local Gehl dealerships have become associated with Komatsu and will bring in their dozers and excavators, but are not really promoting their skids.

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I like their form of Vertical Path loaders, they have a unique torque multiplier in the linkage, much like a "zoom boom" has, that gives them better lift, but I've never run one before, at least they use a good strong U/C.

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I demoed one in 03' and was around one during prototype testing two years ago. They have not been that well received for a couple of reasons. Thats not to say they are a bad machine. I have talked to some guys that have run them and like them. Overall though I don't think Komatsu is used to running at the back of the pack like they are in the skid steer market.

5. bobcat_ron

They are no the greatest on fuel either, someone in my 'hood had 2 Komatsu SSL's and traded them off in a year for Cat's.

6. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmm, I kinda like the looks of the machines. I think the pin where the cylinder that raises the boom on the skid looks like it needs more metal around it. On the CTL's though they look heavier built. I like Komatsu stuff. I use to think there dozers where kind of funny looking but man they sure where fast moving dirt or at least the operator made it look that way.

7. darinray

darinray LawnSite Member

I've got a SK815 with joystick controls and it is sweet. They way underrated this beast as just yesterday we off loaded a truck lift that weighed 2750 pounds and I didn't even hear a good strain or feel uneasy. Very stable and soooo easy to operate with the joysticks. :) I also have over 20 Komatsu dozers like D20's, D21's, D31's, D37's, 2 wheel loaders WA70 and WA150, and mini PC35R-8 excavator. Yeah I'm a Komatsu fan. :) As far as being hard on fuel I thought opposite as you can run all these machine all day hard (as hard as these little babies can) and still have fuel at the end of the day in the tank.

I don't use all these of course but sell when and what I can. *trucewhiteflag*

8. bobcatexc

bobcatexc LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

We've got a Komatsu CK35 track loader at work, it's not a bad little machine. The joystick controls are the best among the Cat and Takeuchi that we demod. It does seem to use the fuel pretty good, I don't care for the visiblity on the sides. It's definately got some power, if your in descent dirt pushing, you have to watch or you'll have dirt rollin up in the cab, no joke! The bucket breakout doesn't seem that good, but all in all not a bad little machine with 8-900 hrs.

9. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Just checked a CK 30-1 out on machinerytrader.It has the same track system as a Deere does.It looks to be exactly the same even the roller frame for the tracks and rollers,etc.

They also looked like the roller frame bolted on the machine the same as Deere.

Deere is Berco and i think someone else on here said both was using them.So that looks to be true,along with the Brigdestone tracks also.

Interesting to see that.:usflag:

10. bobcat_ron

Berco makes the U/C for Deere and Komatsu, Deere was the first one to have problems with the tracks walking off, so Komatsu ordered up the triple flanged front idlers PDQ.