Kramer said it

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Frue, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Get ready 5.00 a gallon this time next year. This guy has been right on the money every year. You best start making adjustments right now. get lean and I mean real lean.

I believe Americas finest days are now officially behind us. We are being invaded from the south, the dollar is almost at fifity cents, and they are having trouble finding enough oil for the WORLDS supply.

This could be a good thing for the established company. Kramer also said that a lot of businesses may folding up shop this year. How is it good if your ship could weather the storm you might be the only one catching shrimp forest.

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I made a mistake yesterday and would not have been a big deal to me back in the year 2000. Someone begged me to come cut their yard and it sounded like a big job. The problem is it was a 30 mile round trip. I failed to ask how tall the grass was. Lets just say the "field" needed a hay baler.:hammerhead: We just can't make mistakes like that anymore when diesel is hovering at $4.00 a gallon.
    I agree that we have to become very lean. Keep route's very tight. Ask lots of questions before driving to give estimates. Don't leave the mower and/or trucks running. Do all the yards you have in one area in one day etc.
    You know, I saw "modern Marvels" the other night where this cargo ship uses 250 TONS! of fuel in a week or something like that. The tank holds 250 tons of fuel. 10s of 1000s of horse power. Many more ships like that out there burning up the fuel every day. So no matter what we do, demand will continue to skyrocket.

3. markahurley

markahurley LawnSite Senior Member

the sky is falling, the sky is falling! all is doom and gloom. the best is behind us. we have nothing to live for. except the prospect of spewing more negative sentiments. there is some merit in that. perhaps there are still optimistic people out there. we can at least reach them and make them miserable too. we must not tire, we must not quit. we must persevere in our negativity until the whole world is as unhappy as we are.

4. Charles

Some people like to deal in reality. The reality is these high gas prices are causing human suffering. Yes, we can raise our prices. Yes that will cause pain for those who we jack the price up on. The thread starter is talking about ways we can deal with the increases price of fuel. If you can't add anything constructive/helpful thoughts then please refrain from posting to this thread.

5. markahurley

markahurley LawnSite Senior Member

i find it hard to believe that a statement such as "america's finest days are behind us" is constructive or helpful. nor does such a statement help us deal with the increase in the price of fuel. i agree--there are some concerns. but there will always be concerns. we can deal with those without bashing our country.

6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I missed the last 2000 2001 recession, Im hopiong to miss this one also. However the double diget inflation on energy and food is going to hurt us all. We have been through this crap before. Or mabey IM old anyone remember the Jimmy Carter days?

7. Charles

So you just pick out one sentence to go on a rant about and start preaching?
    You may think its no big deal, but a good many people do. There is no end to how high prices can go and businesses and customers are suffering

8. Charles

Ya, thats when we go into it with the Arabs/OPEC. We rise and fall with the price and availablity of oil. A lot different circumstances with that slump. Unless, the world weans itself of oil then this will turn into a longterm crisis

9. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

The world will never <atleast in our live times> Eventually Washing will have to let oil companies drill for domestic oil. The one thong woorse than high energy prices is rationaning of energy.

10. Charles

Even, if we drilled all over the USA, only a fraction of our needs would be served for a short period of time. Yes, I agree that there will be no weaning us off in our lifetime.
    So our businesses and our families have to find ways to cut back on consumption so we can personally survive. That is what I thought this thread was about. Our standard of living will definitely suffer if we don't.