Krap eatin' scrubs!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncare3, May 1, 2003.

1. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a 14 y/o across the street (i have nothing wrong with 14 y/o's) I thought he was my friend. It turns out he is going to "cut grass and take my accounts for half price" He tells me yesterday that him an his friend are going to mow, fertilize, trim bushes, etc for $12 any service. Being that he only has an $49 mtd clearance special And his mom wouldn't let him do the old guy's lawn for $ I don't think they will be in business for long. I said to him how are you going to trim without a trimmer or a blower. He replys " I have a rechargeable trimmer and I will use my dad's broom or my neighbor will let me use his blower"

I am just too tired of children that don't have any money invested in equipment and use their parents equip.

One more thing I was pissed off @ was seeing 4 mexicans packed into a 1960's f150 and two 21" mtd's and a weedeater.

The reason I can't pay for insurance is because of these scrubs making the prices so LOW.:angry:

I would gladly pay $100 a month if there was some kind of government controlled system where everyone that didn't pay it would be thrown in jail or get their equipment confisquated.

I just can't stand it anymore.

Sorry I had to vent but, it's got to be stopped.

Please put input,

Thanks,
    Chris

2. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Think back 2 years when you were 14. You probably may have done similar when you started out as well.

3. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

LOL...I know you are just venting...but read your post, it sounds as if your pretty young yourself....and if you dont have insurance what gives you the right to call the kid a scrub? I teach 14 year olds all day and mow in the evenings...most of these kids cant get a job because of thier age, when they ask me for advise I tell them to buy a lawn mower. Buisness ethics are not a 14 year olds concern, but if they are out there working, staying out of trouble and learning to work hard and seeing what there parents have to go through to keep food on the table it a good thing.
    If the kid only has a $49 mower he can afford to only make $12 a lawn..and if the people who hire the kid want a twelve dollar job ...well its thier property let them do with it what they want...come to think of it I do a $12 property with my $9,000 walker...LOL
    In my opinion there is a big diffrence between a kid and a scrub.

4. SunSwept

SunSwept LawnSite Member

My goodness but aren't we bitter!

"Krap eatin' scrubs!" Directed against a 14-year old?

I have been lurking for some time and this is only my second post. But I have noticed a few things. There are people on this board who really know what they are talking about. They give intelligent answers, are polite, articulate, and even spell all of the words correctly. I would venture to say that they are so good at what they do that they don't have to prove anything to anyone and are happy to share their information because they are secure in themselves and their ability to earn a living as well as secure in the institution of free enterprise.

There are also people on this board who seem to build themselves up by knocking others down. Name calling is common as is threats of 'reporting' as well as wishing for government intervention.

I am amazed that someone would feel threatened by a 14-year old boy using borrowed equipment. Even I know that there isn't much that this kid can do to hurt me as the equipment will soon give out and Dad will be annoyed at having to replace it and tell his son not to use it any longer.

Personally, I would watch this kid and see how much sand he has in his pants. He might make a good crew leader or foreman and I could use him in my business so that I could go fishing once in a while. (I know this place where the trout .... )

As for government controls. I have yet to see ANYTHING that the government gets involved in that doesn't end up stinking more than it originally did. Using the power of the government to protect people I might go along with. Using the power of the government to inhibit someone from trying to earn a living I am totally against. The low, low prices will eventually cause this person to go under and their customers will need someone else. Perhaps even you.

Competition is healthy and good. It forces me to work smarter to beat the pants off of the other guy. If allows me to become innovative, and inventive. It allows me to profit from my successes and learn from my mistakes. It keeps me alert to what is REALLY going on.

That 14-year old who wants to use borrowed equipment will more than likely get a few customers, maybe even a few of your customers. But girls, video games, school, TV, concerts, hamburgers and peers are more important to him. He just may want to work at the 'popular' place in town and abandon the customers that he has which provides opportunity for you and others.

If I can't do a better job than he, and stay at it longer than he (which justifies the higher price) then I have no business being in this business. If the equipment that I have paid thousands for can not beat his Dad's rechargable stuff, then I should have bought the cheap rechargable stuff too and shame on me for not knowing the difference.

Complain if you will. I will just grin and realize that my competition isn't really the competition that I thought. Instead of complaining I am going to be thinking of how I can beat you even if you have ALL of the advantanges. I don't care to beat you or 14-year old boys every time. That isn't possible. But I AM going to beat you more than not just because your bitterness will get in the way. And that edge is all that I need.

5. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

great answer SunSwept....I have mentioned before that I read lawnsite as much for the entertainment value as the great advise. Your answer was both entertaining and great advise.

6. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

The only reason I don't have insurance is because all the money I am making would be going to insurance.

SunSwept,

All I meant was that kid having the nerve to tell me " I don't give a rats ... about mowing or lawncare and it's just for morons that don't have a life" he also stated : " I don't care it's just grass I am only doing it for money" Things like that really piss me off especially being the Jerk he is. I have NO problem with a 6 year old cutting a lawn. He should at least have the courtesy to know what he is doing, and DO A QUALITY JOB. This kid's mom makes him cut the lawn @ 1.5 " I think it looks like 3847
    If he takes over my customers I will be angry but, I will be a lot nicer to him if he does quality work. I don't think he should be making fun of my overhead in fact he said I was a "dumbass" because I like to spend money on equip. My equipment costs more then his family's vehicles put together. I really don't mind him but, he can first start out by doing a quality job. I also asked him if he has a edger he states " what's an edger. :dizzy: :mad:

7. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

leave the "mexicans" alone. They are the primary driving force in the landscaping industry. You are unedicated and dont know what you are saying,,,,so just stop cause your flaming what you dont know just to make yourself look superior

:mad: :mad: :mad: :angry: :angry: :angry: :mad: :mad: :mad:

8. SunSwept

SunSwept LawnSite Member

I don't have all of the answers. I never pretend to. Heck, most of the time I don't understand the question. But, since you addressed me on that last post then I would like to respond.

I fully admit that I have run into my share of young people whom I would love to flush down the toilet. The only problem is that this is part of their being young and knowing everything. The only time I get 'pissed' at them is when I forget that 'a dog can only be a dog and a cat can only be a cat'. They are only being what they are.

I volunteer at the schools. I deal with several dozen obnoxious teenie-boppers each week. I would like to know if this kid has a father or father-figure living with him. At first, sounds like NO. Had he commented to me about an edger, I would have shown him one, shown him what it does, shown him how to operate it and offered to let him use it for his 'business'. In other words, I would have given him time and attention. But that is just me. And it probably wouldn't have done a thing to cure his ways as he can only be what he is.

I learned the hard way that an investment in our young people is necessary. The school that my kids go to was shot up several years ago by a student. Thanks to God that none were killed though 6 were wounded. Don't get mad at the kid ... offer to show him. Heck, give him a customer. At least when he is working you know where he is and what he is doing. After he gets some good money in his pocket he might learn to take pride in a job well done.

Since you addressed the issue of the kid, then that is what I will stick to. I don't want to get into too much more here. Wrong forum. If you want, I will post my email address. We can debate it there.

9. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

I cant see what all the fuss about scrubs is,they are no competiton to a real LCO.

The customers that hire the scrubs are in fact the scrubs themselves the ones that settle for sub par work to save a few bucks.

Most of my customers would not deal with sub par LCOs

rigid non safe equipment
    no pride in work
    mowers hanging out of trunks
    no insurance
    etc etc

I dont want these types of customers and most legit people dont.
    So scrubs usually work for scubs,so I have no Problem with them:rolleyes:

10. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

If the kid is scalping the lawn and the customer wants it that way, why would you even worry about it? This really seems to bother you alot. Why do even talk to this cat, when you have your own gig to worry about?

Pointing the finger at someone and then turning around and saying you don't have insurance just don't go to well with this crowd.