1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kubota 28 hp ZTR, new model...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tonyr, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I have searched to find info about the 28 hp Kubota ZTR here, not much info from owners of the new model came up...

The new model has the fabrigated deck.

I did read that some liked the cut and others didn't like the cut at fast speed, vacuming problems apparently...

Anyone got any updated info about cut quality, hill stability, weight distribution, speed, warrantee claims etc?

2. panda

panda LawnSite Member

Had two of them...... Unloaded them... nothing but problems.. the deck scalps... tires leave ruts... and the blower is always clogging.. went to ex-mark.. I suggest you do the same!
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to LS Panda.

Please go into detail about your experiences with the Kubota.
  4. panda

panda LawnSite Member

Thanks for th welcome TLS... my dealings w/ the new kubotas were not good.Ran GF 1800's for many yrs.... Were doing an ok job. The new ones came out bought 2.... 23 horse deisel ZTR's.. Those things were in the shop more than they were mowing! Scalping issues.. Rutting issues and BIG TIME blower issues. Factory replaced the drive to the blowers .. at least twice.... was a mis alignment or something.. so they said. Then they sent them back w/ additional weights on the front end.. said it was a roll-over issue.. The ruts got worse..My mechanic was pulling the few hairs he had left out of his head!!
    Then the rear axle broke... got worse from there.... Called the ex-mark dealer.. Bought 2.. told him I'd give him the kubotas.. take 2 I said.. give me one ex-mark in exchange.. he did. been mowing ever since..The only issues w/ those have been carb issues at about 1200 hrs.. and the splindles... we modified those.. put grease zirks in.. TOOOO much moisture here for sealed bearings.... NO complaints otherwise
  5. Tonyr

what do you think caused the Kubota decks to scalp and not the Exmark deck?

Did the models you buy have deck castors on to help stop scalping?

Was it the deck width maybe?

Is the Rutting from the weight of the machine?

I don't know anything about the model Kubota you bought, the 28 hp ztr out now looks well built, deck performance is my big interest at this point, there are 2 decks floating around, the stamped and fabricated, going by searches here there is limited feedback but some like the stamped which is prone to cracking apparently and others like the new fabricated deck, I would think the new deck would clearly be better but not so apparently, and some have said these decks can fail to cut neatly at speed and for some reason can fail to cut the grass laid over by the front wheels...

In this day and age there is no exceuse for poorly performing decks, these ztr's are very expensive toys in any brand....
    surely if you spend big bucks on a mower you expect big results from it's cut....but I haven't heard of too many positives with this mower, just that it has a good engine, I will admit I love the shape and sitting position.

6. panda

panda LawnSite Member

Hi Tony,

Not quite sure what was causing them to scalp.. I'm sure it was the design and how it mounted to the mower. And yes they did have the anti scalp rollers. The rutting was probably due to the weight of the machine.. which got worse after the extra weight was installed. Maybe improvements have been made since we unloaded ours. We had the zd 18 I believe with a 21 horse engine ( sorry I wrote 23 before) The engines never gave us a problem on those or the gf 1800's we had ran for yrs. I think you are right when you say they are EXPENSIVE. I also think the ex-mark is a nicer mower and a way nicer cut... a lot better at bagging (wet leaves included) and alot less down time for the money.
  7. Tonyr

Thanks Panda, good reply, appreciated.

I think I should stick to my original decision to purchase the new Super Z from Hustler with the 28 Kohler EFI engine, and when Hustler releases their kubota powed super z next year check it out then.

At least not many say anything bad about this brand, not serious design issues or deck issues anyway.

Thanks mate!

8. panda

panda LawnSite Member

NP Tony.... why not look at ex-mark?
  9. Tonyr

Would you believe, no dealers in my state?
    I emailed exmark and asked if they could assist me in finding a dealer in my state, but no reply, and their dealer search on their site doesn't cover Australia off memory.

I hear terrific things from this company, the brand is wershipped almost on this forum, pity I couldn't of given them a demo, the flip side being Hustler here is growing well.

I chose hustler over the ferris because the super z mulches great, ferris has no true mulching system to offer, kubota is big here in councils and govn. in general in the garden tractor models, not the 28 ztr that's why I thought I'd be a dill not to check them out before handing over a small fortune on another ztr, currently running a toro which replaced a walker.

I love the look of the kubota though, nice design.

I thought before about the scalping issue with the kubota you had...I bet you had the stamped deck?

From photos there seems to be a considerable gap between the rear of the deck and the front of the drive wheel....not a clever design, this would make the deck relp on the rollers too much where the drive wheels are supposed to suspend the rear of the deck better, closer the better to the drive wheels is best generally.

The new fabricated deck going by photos is set up closer to the drive tyres and has scalp rollers inside the drive tyre area, I would think this should be a very good system...

I would think the fab. deck would discharge smaller clippings than the high material flow stamped deck, which leaves a neater finish, and the fab. deck would have better vacume than the stamped so no strips.

But I'm only speculating, no one has said clearly the pros and cons of each deck that I could find in searches.

Thanks again mate!

10. panda

panda LawnSite Member

You can go to Toro then. They own ex-mark. They have a very similar mower to the ex-mark. I think thats why they bought them.. They do that with alot of smaller companies so as they take out the competition. A little more spendy ( paying for the name and alot of advertising ). As a matter of fact my dealer is bringing one down next week for us to demo. I can let you know what we think of it.