Kubota 300 series owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toad, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

How about an update from anyone who has purchased the new 300 series
    from kubota.
    I almost bought a zd28 last year , but stayed away after all of the info I read on lawnsite. Thanks for that! Bought another tank and couldnt be happier.
    Anyways, with this new kubota it seems as if I may take another look.Gota go diesiel nowatimean. looking at ZD 331 72" cut. everthing looks redesigned this year. Thanks for the in!:gmctruck: :gmctruck: fo

2. Just getting into the commercial business and purchased a new zd 331 w/ 72" cut. Talk about a workhorse, definite upgrade from the previous zd25 and zd28 models...it's redesigned and much faster. We cut 135 acres in 6 days with only the 72" and it puts 25 hours on the machine. Never have used it at full throttle running wide open though, you would need a football field to cut it loose like that. Give it a second look if you are considering this mower, fuel efficiency is incredible.

3. Toad

Thanks for the update S&D ,
    How does the beast seem to cut ? any problems there.
    How about the hydro. is it as smooth as they are saying.
    Shure cant wait to get a test ride ,snow has just melted off today:confused:
    sound impressive !

4. Toad

Finally laid eyes on the new machine today.What a brute. Love all the new features, Dealer is at $12,500 on the 331 72". does this seem to be the norm or should i try to get a better deal. I did drive it but could not cut with it , I need someone to give me there oppinion.

5. Sorry I'm slow on the reply, working some long hours and don't get online much. On centipede, the cut on the 72" zd 331 is impeccable....on something thicker ( i.e. clover, bermuda, or good ole "volunteer" grass) it leaves a few blades of grass uncut, so you have to hit it twice. I think the cut on an Exmark or Hustler is smoother across the board. The hydro has almost instantaneous response without really tearing up the turf from a slow or stopped position. It is much improved over the previous model. We run the 331 and a 2006 zd 25 60", but the 07 zd 331 absolutely kicks the smaller mowers butt. Not only is the hydro smooth, but the quick response will really really help save you more time. The price you were quoted seems spot on....we payed $11,800 for ours, but that was with a 10% government discount directly from Kubota. Let me also say that the fuel economy is incredible....I will cut three days or about 75 acres with the dual tanks full of fuel, lets see a gas hog pull that off !!!! I read your mention of snow...if you're planning to get and use a snow blower attachment..I would ask around or try to get more specific input from the other members about that. It only snows maybe once a year in eastern South Carolina so I don't have any quality info I can share with you. Lastly, keep the cost in mind...$12,500 is a lot of money for a mower and the maintenance is just as bad----$300 for a set of non-aftermarket blades, $100 for the v-belt, over $6000 for a new engine. If you cut commercially or just really like the mower I would hands down recommend the zd 331, but if you have less than 75 acres to cut then I would look at something more moderately priced. I am hearing good things about Husqvarna so far this year, especially the iz and lz models. Local dealer priced me a iz61" 23 hp kaw for $5800 and I'm thinking about getting one to use as a back up. I know this post is lengthy, but I hope it helps...S&D out.

6. Toad

Thanks again S&D, Lengthy is good buy the way . Spending this kind of money scares the c#$% out of me. Yes I do mow comm & res. I have a cub m60 that I will use on the res, sold my older unit ,that is why im shopping. I want to try to be more productive by myself.We do about 100 acres a week , lots of big yards 5 to 10 acres is the norm.
    You seem to be the only one out yhere so far with one.You said some times you need to double cut because of uncut grass? thats not good. I mostly mow thick grass,clover ,blue grass and like you said "volunteer grass".It seems as if kub might not have solved the problem with that yet. Lots of guys complained about that on the old ZD. This scares me ! Im use to the clean cut that I get from my cubs.
    I dont get online to often either , dont wory about timely posts. Any info is greatly appreciated. My dealer also said he would have to get another unit from a dealer for he has sold all of his first order. They seem to be selling good, at least for now!!!!

7. Toad

Forgot to mention, I did not know there was a snow blower for the 331?

& $300.00 for blades is that right , or did you mean 30.00.That would have to be some kind of blade for that $.

8. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

;) Yea... is that right?

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

It can't be $300. Shoot, I can buy blades from my dealer for $50 / set.

10. Toad

hey lwnmwrman do you have the zd 331 or the zd28. That sounds more like the right price. Just curious how your machine is performing.

How about anyone else ! I need to make a decision soon before the grass really takes off.:walking:

I know most of us up north have not had a chance to cut yet this year , so it will be hard to find out how the new ZD cuts our grass. Cut quality is of upmost importance. This machine will drive me bonkers if it does not cut well, and at the tune of 12,500 I want to make sure.