1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kubota 331 vs Deere 997

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HazellLawnCare, Feb 12, 2008.

1. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 new Kubota 331 mowers ordered but looked at a Deere 997 today. Which of the 2 mowers do you think is the best diesel 72" mower? These are the two options guys so don't even bother mentioning other brands. These two have the best service by far around here and the mowers will give alot of hours put on them.
  2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i use the new kubotas, but the 326 and it has way lots of power and a great cut. very comfy to ride and service is a snap. i demoed the 331 and it is really powerful. jd is junk and hydros are not as good as the kubota trans
  3. HazellLawnCare

That is what I am thinking too. I honestly think the kubota is the best built large frame zero turn out there but I wanted to hear if there were any 997 fans out there.
  4. HazellLawnCare

I would really like to hear some more on this.
  5. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

You know I kind of shy away from comments like 'junk' about something that was designed by a multitude of professional engineers and has sold so many units as the 997 line has. John Deere makes some very high quality units that work day in and day out. The only reason I didn't get one this time is that the 997 is too heavy for my trailer and I am going to start fazing out of mowing over the next few years.

But, they also make some very expensive units. I think I would be hard pressed not to purchase a diesel anymore if I was in the market. And Kubota makes some very nice high grade units with years of experience with diesel mowers. I'm not sure what the Z-331 sells for, but I've been working around one the past few days fitting an accessory to one and it sure appears to be a fine unit. I see no way it could cost more than a 997 Z-Trak though.

So, you will get as many varied opinions on mowers as there are owners of the varied units. I have always used John Deeres, but that has not stopped me from investigating the others. I see a fair amount of Kubotas being used by LCO's and have yet to see one broken down. But, I don't see any Z-Traks broken down either.

Good luck !
  6. FordLawnLandscape

FordLawnLandscape LawnSite Member

ZD326 is a MAN!! Awesome machine everything in the quote above is the absolute truth! i love my 60 w/ the 26 hp diesel , never used the 72" 30hp but i can only imagine. a little pricey but i have always lived by the saying "ya get whatcha pay for!":cool2:
  7. HazellLawnCare

anymore 997 users out there?
  8. getthenet

getthenet LawnSite Member

I bought a 331 @ first of 07 after trying a jd 997. I liked the kubota a little more up front. I previously ran a zd 18. I will not ever go back to gas. I also like the pivoting front of kubota and the hydro deck. The ride is a little rough on the 331. I got the optional flat free front tires. Did not have a single problem in 07 with my kubota. I bought a few extra sets of blades when I purchased the mower and we keep them sharp for the best cuts. I also have a 44 bushel 8hp trailer vac. to pull behind the mower. These work great together on large properties, especially heavy leaves. I hope this helps a little. go orange.
  9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, i know junk is a bad word. i am just not a fan of anything green!!!! besides here i hear bad reviews of the jd on how they break and break down, but i think they were all gas. but it was never the engine, jsut the rest of the machine!!!
  10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Please post a list of threads that provide details on these bad reviews and breakdowns. They would be helpful to read and understand.