Kubota And Dixie Chopper?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NORTHMAN, Apr 30, 2007.

NORTHMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I'm in search of a new ZTR,I currently have a SCAG Tiger Cub but would like to look at other options than SCAG and Exmark.Two that caught my intrest are Kubota and Dixie Chopper,what can you tell me about them?I need a tough,reliable mower while the quality of cut is important a bullet proof mower is more important.The lawns I mow arent neat and manicured,there rough filled with dips,hills and bumps,rocks and holes,I need a mower that will stand up.I'mm looking for a 50"-60" deck with 23 HP minimum.The Scag has been OK with the exception of the bagger,I don't know if I don't have enough HP(19 HP Kawasaki)or what but the bagger just can't any thing but dry grass without getting cloged.I won't get another bagger,I'll side discharge and mulch.I have a Kubota dealer close by and theres no Dixie dealer for about 30 miles.I've even thought about a compact tractor but since some of the accounts are a few acres I think it might be to slow.Any suggestions?
  2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I only have a Dixie Chopper. It is a sturdy machine but we don't have a grass catcher on it.
  3. pconley

pconley LawnSite Member
    from ME

How about a Grasshopper?
  4. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I just bought the new Kubota 331. Can't really comment yet, as I haven't really used it yet, but from what others have said, it's a GREAT machine. Do a search for Kubota and you will have plenty of reading.
  5. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

One of my mowers is a Dixie chopper. It is reliable and never seems to break down. That being said. I am the only one that uses it. My employees hate the controls complaining that it is to twitchy to run. The cut finish it nice.
  6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I have ridden and run both in my brother's business. the kubota zd series for pro's is by far quieter, smoother and more comfortable than the dixie. You will actually get more grass cut with the kubota because of the comfort of cutting faster, even though the dixie will travel faster. both are built well and cut well. kubota's also seem to hold thier value better with more hours than dixie. dave g