1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kubota and Triton 06 model

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by w-r-g, Aug 21, 2006.

1. w-r-g

w-r-g LawnSite Member

New Exmark with the 25hp Kubota and Triton deck. Had problems with clumping and throwing the grass far enough to start with and then with a few adjustments and using high lift blades it works ok now. Still clumps if the grass is not totally dry. 72" cut maybe has to do with it too. Power is ok but I could use more in thick bahai grass. Cuts fine in any sort of augustine grass and never clumped at all with that easy stuff. Anyone else using this new engine and deck? Thoughts either way please. I have about 50 hours on mine so far this season and it is work just ok.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Well unfortunately the KD engine will not be up to its full potential until the engine gets over 200hrs on it. The engine design takes longer to break in.
    All decks can clump we would have to identify if it is normal for this condition. Adjustments can be made to make it better! Please contact the Service Dept. and ask for Fred.
  3. lawnward

lawnward LawnSite Member

How can Kubota justify an answer such as that? 200 hours? Anything more than 10-20 hours is beyond reasonable. Do we tell our customers that the grass is not going to be cut well for at least half a season?
  4. w-r-g

w-r-g LawnSite Member

Well I was thinking same on the 200 hour break in period. The 72" deck is definately to large for the 25hp Kubota. I have about 125 hours on it now and it is slightly stronger but not much. Total machine is trouble free and I am 80% happy with it cept it took me 3 sets of blades to find some that would work consistently. The high lift extreme blades will work and throw well in most all dry grass. If the grass is not to tall it will throw semi wet grass ok too. ANY other blade will clump just about all the time no matter what.
  5. lawnward

lawnward LawnSite Member

I have heard the same answer through other manufacturers that use similar Kubota engines. It's just not right to expect a cutter to go half a season to get full performance. The Briggs diesel never had an issue.
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The 42 lb/ft of torque from that 902 Kubota just simply isn't enough for the TRITON deck, or the 21cc pumps.

eXmark has some real good ideas, but downsizing their flagship diesel ZTR's engine isn't something I ever saw coming.

Put a 30-35hp Kubota/Yanmar in there and you'd have people lining up at dealerships waiting to buy them.

Make it turbo. This keeps the cc's of the engine small for economy, yet will pull you through the soup when the going gets tough.
  7. eXmark

Lawnward, I will forward your concerns to our people that deal with Kubota. I don't have a good answer for you. It is the "nature of the beast" cast iron block and liquid cooled. The diesel tends to be more for city, state and park customers. They can easily put on 3 to 4 times the hours you may see. Simply may not be the best machine for you.

TLS, I don't know how you are coming up with your calculations?? One thing to keep in mind is we under drive the pumps! Please give me a call, I will discuss this with you or email me your number and I will call you.

One thing to keep in mind is raw horse power runs the deck. If you want the most powerful machine buy the highest HP.

Thanks Fred
  8. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

2-3 less horsepower 3 less lb.feet of torque than the previous
    27 hp briggs/daihatsu?
    maby so for a deck smaller than a 60" or maby even a hp series
    now that would be cool,

but i kept waiting for exmark to add the briggs/daihatsu 31 hp turbo diesel
    as an option for the 60" and 72" XP/XS
    dont get me wrong Kubota power is just fine but with more power
  9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

42lbs of torque, what would be the purpose of having a diesel. I have to agree with you TLS.
  10. eXmark

Let's go back to this; HP runs the deck. Don't be fooled by Peek Torque readings. The KD engine has a peek torque at 2350(about) of 42ft.lbs. and at 3800 it has 30ft.lbs(guessing the chart doesn't go that high).

On most engines the higher the rpm the more HP you can make. But the torque will peek much earlier and will begin to drop this number the higher the engine is spun.

If you look at where the engine rpm's are running on your mower. Then compare that to advertised HP/Torque curves. That peek torque numbers are to far back on the scale to be the major player.

You could also look at it this way, as your engine rpm's drop the engine gains torque and looses HP.

If I was a landscaper wanting the most productive machine I would buy HP. Thanks Fred.