Kubota B20 with 18ft Trailer combo question??

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by MSLandscaping, Aug 14, 2006.

1. MSLandscaping

MSLandscaping LawnSite Member

I have a chance to purchase a Kubota B20 Tractor/Backhoe , with a 18 foot Custon built Trailer to toe it. Also has a Flail Mower , all for $13000.00.
    The owner is a homeowner who bought it to do work around his home, from grading to digging drainage. It has around 1500 hours and is from the ealry 90's.

any input on this one would be appriciated.

2. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I am assuming that the 20 signifies that it is a 20HP tractor. Is it 4wd?

If it is 20HP, I would think that you would want at least a 35hp or more, and a 4wd.

Also check to see how old it is and if it has a transferrable warranty that is still good.

Tim

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

The B-20 was made from 90 to 98. 20 HP at the drawbar 13 at the PTO. A bit small for some projects, ie backhoe use, unless it is easy digging (no rocks). Loader and flail mower would be fine.

http://www.tractordata.com/td/td1258.html

4. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

1500 hours around his house??? Wow... I hope he has a big property.

5. rosolar

rosolar LawnSite Member
    from Mass

I'm in mass and am also looking into a used b20. Its a 1990/91 with only 500+ hrs. loader and backhoe. What is better a newer machine with 1000+ hrs, or a older machine with 500 hrs? The asking price is about 12k. does that sound fair? I am not familiar w/ the value of older machines, I've been pricing the b21s for the last month.

I am buying the machine to do plantings, ditches, grading, material moving, paddock clearing...

Any comments about the machine and its value would be appreciated.

6. MSLandscaping

I don't think 1500 hours is much for a diesel. The owners house is 2 acers , and the house is 2.5 million. He just likes to do all the yard work himself, now is done, and needs the garage space. Did I mention he garaged the Kubota. You guys would like this guys garage, has every toy, 20 foot high ceililngs. Welders, tools, air.

7. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

we have a b21 and use it for all kinds of jobs.. the b21 has plenty of power we have dug out huge stumps, done tons of drainage jobs, dug out old driveways and prep for paving and so on and so on.. we also have a five foot harley rake for it and the tractor runs it perfectly, along with a 4 foot brush hog.. the loader also has enough power and lift hight to pick up the sanders and put them on the dump trucks.. the skids and mini exs are great but i would never sell the b21.. the price for the machine your looking at seems to be a decent deal if its in good shape. you should have no problem getting your money back with in 100 hrs.. i have seen them in rental stores for sale with 3000 hrs still running and im sure i dont have to tell what a beatting they take their..

8. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

1500 hours is not high if the machine was mantained, the B20's are are proven machine for kubota. They are a great machine for landscape construction. From my perspective their only drawback is the pto hp is on the low side.

9. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

1500 hours isn't a lot on the machine... just a lot of work to do in one yard!!

Just realized though... this is a mower also right? If it is, i can understand the 1500 hours. I thought he was using the backhoe that much.

10. MSLandscaping

thanks for all the input on this tractor question. The guy sold it, now I am looking at the newer B21 models. Any input on these would be appriciated.

thanks,
    D