Kubota B7200 - Good Machine?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by wilsonbh, May 21, 2007.

1. wilsonbh

wilsonbh LawnSite Member

I'm looking to buy a Kubota B7200 that appears to be in showroom condition. Has a Yanmar diesel, bucket and belly mower. I can get it for $7K.

My only hesitation is the tires and the transmission. Has the heavy duty tractor tires you see on farm vehicles and I need turf tires. I've gotten spoiled by the HST and this one has 6 gears forward and 2 reverse.

My question is "Are these tractors well built?" Will they last a very long time?

2. prosperity

prosperity LawnSite Member

I doubt very much that a Kubota tractor would have a Yanmar (Deere) engine...

Anyway, I am looking at a similar situation - found an excellent deal on a Deere 790. I would have snatched it up right away, but hesitating because of it being a gear tractor. But, for the price, I think I am going for it. This one has industrial tires on it. This machine would be used for loader, brush hog, and lawn installation work - no finish mowing.

Would you be using this for mowing, or other work (the need for turf tires)?
  3. wilsonbh

wilsonbh LawnSite Member

You are correct. The tractor has a 3 cylinder Kubota diesel motor. I had confused the tractor with another one. I too am hesitating because of the gears. I much prefer the HST transmission. Gears mean a clutch and it's days are numbered. I'll probably not get the tractor because of the transmission, but the price is right for sure.

4. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn’t worry about replacing the clutch unless it has bazillion hours on it and the P/O has abused it.

I bought a 1983 B6100 4WD in 1990, used the heck out of it for 13 years then sold it for what I paid and it is still going strong.

The only reason I would go with the Hydro is #1 it beats the heck out of using a clutch loading the bucket. #2 I’m getting lazy so why shift if you don’t have to.

They are very well built.
  5. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Gear tractors are fine, but before you buy it drive it to make sure you like the gear ratios OK. I had a Yanmar that had two ranges- too slow and too fast. Actually the low range was good, with a super-low first gear. But 3rd gear low range was much slower than first gear high range and I had often wished for a gear or two in between.
  6. prosperity

prosperity LawnSite Member

I would be using mine for brush hog work, tiller and rake mostly. Gear tractor is fine for that stuff.
    Will be doing some loader work also. Like you, I was offered a heck of a deal on this tractor - a Deere 790 with industrial loaded tires, quik-tach loader, iMatch, and rake. Beside getting over the gear part, which I will, I will have to buy another trailer big enough to haul it around.

Back to the tires - what would you be using the tractor for that you want turf tires?
    For what I am going to do, the industrial tires are a good fit.
  7. wilsonbh

wilsonbh LawnSite Member

I need to mow my lawn and need a finish mower for that. The farm tires it has would damage my yard. The turf tires would be easier on my lawn.

8. meador56

meador56 LawnSite Member

We just bought new 3203 Deere with a loader. Looked at Kubota and have had 2. But, lost motor in one and had tuff time with parts, local rental place was formally dealer and has been waiting for pistons for 2months. I cant stand that.
  9. Airwave

Airwave LawnSite Member
    from Ireland

I actually just bought a Kubota L4200 second hand 3000 hrs had new clutch and few other things done to it. Had it for a day gas pedal kept getting stuck only one double acting spool valve was told there would be two. Small oil leak under carriage. 1st and 2nd gear would hope out of gear after a minute of work so all in all not a good start then later in day after struggling to use my new Landpride Power Rake the hydraulic hose sprung a massive leak. Anyway took it back to dealer and bought a brand new Kioti instead with 2 year guarentee so hopefully I can now go out and make some money to pay for all this new gear. My advice if dont know much about tractors bring someone who does who can tell you about every nook and cranny of the machine and what they should all do otherwise buy from a reputable dealer you trust and if all else fails and you want complete piece of mind empty your bank account and buy new.

Good luck as my Irish luck completely failed me this week, onwards and upwards.
  10. wilsonbh

wilsonbh LawnSite Member

I've decided to go with the John Deere 2305. It cost more but then, it's a better machine in my view, and I like and prefer the HST.

Thanks for the responses. Knowledge truly is power....