1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kubota B7800 Won't start

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by RedRed, Feb 18, 2006.

1. RedRed

RedRed LawnSite Member
    from PA

I brought my tractor outside this morning to wash it and when I went to get off of it the engine quit like it sometimes will do if the PTO levers are pulled back (safety switch). Only this time the Pto levers were in the correct position and now it won't start. I can here something click when I get on and off the seat (another safety switch engaging/disengaging) but it won't even roll over. Battery is good. Any ideas?
  2. echovalley

echovalley LawnSite Member
    from CT

Sounds like something is engaged.Is it a hydro or gear?Did you check the saftey switch is fully connected under the seat?
  3. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Jiggle the pto engagement lever as you turn the key. You can bypass all the safety switches and start the tractor by crossing the posts on the starter with a screwdriver.
  4. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Try to adjust or bypass(connect 2 wires) seat saftey switch.:usflag:
  5. RedRed

RedRed LawnSite Member
    from PA

The tractor is a hydro. I agree it must be something with the switches not properly engaging either due to too little travel or possibly corrosion internally. I pushed the two PTO levers forward as someoned mentioned, but that doesn't help either. I already tried your idea of jumping the posts on the starter solenoid but only the starter motor spins. The solenoid doesn't engage. I wonder if I'm jumping the wrong pins?
  6. RedRed

RedRed LawnSite Member
    from PA

Update: Must have been something frozen with one of those safety switches. When the big snowstorm hit the east coast last weekend I was plowing in the snowstorm and I think some of the melted snow ran down and refroze in a safety switch. I got up this morning and tried the starter again and still nothing. So I lit the kerosene heater and let it run for a few hours while I piddled around in the barn. After two or three hours I tried starting it again and it kicked right over and started up.
  7. dlellis

dlellis LawnSite Member

My problem was a bad kill switch on the forward/reverse HST pedal, which must be in the dead center position for the engine to start. Poor alignment design caused a burr to form on the switch shaft preventing it from returning to the center position. I had to stomp the forward and reverse several times before the engine would start. The quick & easy solution is to just bypass this switch because it is not really needed. (Kubota overkills on the safety switches.) It is much better to also physically remove the switch so the shaft burr doesn't prevent the pedal from returning to the neutral position.
  8. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I havea 7800 and my forward reverse safety switch did the same thing to me, PITA!!!
  9. RedRed

RedRed LawnSite Member
    from PA

Wow - I just logged in after at least 6 months of not looking on this site and saw one of my posts from 2006. Hopefully it was helpful information for you B7800 owners. Turns out that starting issue was both the PTO lever and also from the fwd/rev pedal safety switch being out of adjustment. I have since sold the B7800 and bought a brand new L3130 w/ Hydrostatic Transmission and FEL w/quick attach. What a nice piece of equipment. My only problem is I don't have enough projects around my property to keep it busy. I also sorta wish I had bought the L3240 after reading what a "hit" the new HST PLUS transmission is. Oh well I should be happy I have a brand new tractor.