1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

kubota bx 22 or massey ferg. 2310

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mickpeg, Sep 28, 2003.

1. mickpeg

mickpeg LawnSite Member

I am considering buying a small compact tractor, loader, backhoe and these two units interest me. I have always subbed out these jobs; however, there are sometimes when those machines are too big. If you have any experience with smaller machines, I welcome the advice. My main concern is whether these machines are not strong enough to do much.
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Kubota is a solid company, I have no real complaints toward them. We have an older L275 we use in the orchard. My gripe to Kubota is price, parts are spendy! Also, I might suggest a Bobcat 463 skid steer. Smaller and more maneuverable than a tractor IMO. We've had our Cat 216 skid steer for a month and I don't know where we'd be without it. Extremely maneuverable for a 5 foot wide machine.
  3. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I'd stay away from the Massey. Are they are is Iseki tractors, assembled with parts and hardware from India. I should have bought a Kubota B21 instead of the Massey 1233. After 2 years and 570hrs, my Massey has been returned to the dealer four times, broken down on the job literally countless times and has been a real pain inthe backside. In addition, the trade in value of compacts are the best with Kubota. I have finally figured out what some of the problems are, and so far the problems are all related to the cheap hardware the tractor was initially assembled with.