Kubota Diesel HELP - Bleeding air from the fuel line.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ewalden, Dec 7, 2004.

1. ewalden

ewalden LawnSite Member

:angry: HELP !! :angry:

I need some help.

Background: It an Excell Hustle 4400 with a Kubota 4 cycle Diesel engine.

I need the steps to bleed the air out of the fuel line. I changed the fuel filter and I believe I now have air in the fuel line. It will not start.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ed

2. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Crack the nuts on the top of the injectors and crank the engine until the fuel comes out. Then tighten up the nuts and start the engine. it will run rough for a little while, let it sit until it smooths out.

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

My diesel Gravely had this happen. The dealer told me to crack the nut on the furthest injector. Have some paper towels on hand. The engine fan will blow the diesel fuel around. It took several tries before I bleed it enough.

4. smokey

smokey LawnSite Member

You shouldn't have to crack any injector lines. On the filter housing there should be a bleed screw, open that and turn the key to "on" (not start) and the electric pump will pump the air out. Then close that screw and on the injector pump there is a bleed screw also. do the same for it.

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

If that doesn't work thats when you should crack the nuts on the injectors and bleed it that way.

6. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure to fill the filter canister back up with fuel. You should also have a hand pump or lever somewhere in the fuel line. Crack the bleeder nuts and hand pump until your arm falls off or you have fuel coming out from around the nuts. Then crank the engine and when you get a few good pops start tightening the bleeder nuts. Unfortunately, I have done this a hundred times as some of our equipment has busted fuel gauges and employees aren't making sure they fill up before they take off to mow.
    That electric pump in that you hear in the fuel line may not be strong enough to get fuel all the way to the injectors.

7. earthwerks unlimited

earthwerks unlimited LawnSite Member

When my Dodge Ram diesel ran out of fuel rather, than ruin the injector pump (it uses fuel to lubricate it not like previous models that use engine oil) I loosened one injector. Then, with the engine NOT running I applied compressed air to the tank filler opening and within a few seconds the system was all primed. (To do this safely I loosely wrapped a moist rag around the end of an air hose to make a loose gasket and released only a few pounds of pressure at a time). This method worked on my backhoe too.

8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

If it has an electric fuel pump most times all you have to do is turn the key to the RUN position and leave it there for a few minutes letting the pump run by itself to prime the fuel system. This will not always work but it is the first thing I would try in this case. It has worked great for me in the pass.