Kubota Diesel or Dixie Chopper?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jasher20, May 31, 2006.

1. Jasher20

Jasher20 LawnSite Member

I am in the market for a new mower. I am concidering the Dixie Chopper, but also the Kubota ZD if I could find one in my price range used. I do some commercial mowing, but will be cutting a lot of pastures/fields with this new mower. I know the Dixie Chopper has the fastest blade speed, and am pretty confident it will do quite well with the fields if the height is within reason, but would the Kubota possibly be a better choice. I want this mower to last, and be reliable because it will not be just cutting nice grass. I plan to buy one with a 52'-60' deck. Would it be obsurd to even concider a chopper over the diesel aside from price, or because of the field mowing is it reasonable?

2. Kubotaman

Kubotaman LawnSite Member

I own a kubota zd21 60 pro deck. with 600hrs.

It has a poor cut. it leaves a lot of pop ups. It has a lot of good features but
    were in the mowing bus. If you have to mow twice you dont make money.
    I tried different blades, slowed way down with no results. I also demo a
    new zd25 . The cut was just as bad.

I demo several ztr and the Dixie chopper had the best cut but was very
    sencitive.also did not like the deck lift.

I purchased a new Scaggs Turf Tiger 27 hp 52 deck. Love the cut.

I cut all types of grass so I need the best cut.

3. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

i've seen a kutoba mowing a field WOW!!! i was amazed of the cut at the first pass. i've got a ferris 48" deck and when it comes to cutting tall grass i have to mow it twice. i too thinking of upgrading to kubota diesel. but i really like my walker mower. and will most likely use a quick 36" to mow high grass

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Kubotaman, check your deck pitch. I don't know what Kubota recommends but its usually 1/8-1/4" lower in the front. On some mowers if the pitch is off just slightly could cause a significant decrease in cut quality. Most people say they cut great so thats what makes me wonder if maybe somethings not right with your unit.

I believe I would take the Kubota over the Dixie simply because of the diesel engine. It would be a lot better choice for mowing fields than a gas engine and the Kubota diesel will be a fuel saver.

5. Kubotaman

Kubotaman LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I have had it back to the dealer several times.
    Even demo a new unit and the cut was poor. I purchased a new scags
    and the cut is very good. I love every thing about the kubota but the cut.

6. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Dixie Chopper over the Kuboata hands down. All around a better mower.

7. Back40

Back40 LawnSite Member

I have a zd2160 and it cuts great. Took it for its 200 hr service and new blades...cut turned to crap. Looked at the blades (the ones that were recommended) and they had a lot less lift. Dealer told me that is what everyone else is running but I insisted they order me two sets of blades like I originally had. They had a tough time finding them in the system but when they did we saw that two sets of hi lift blades were only $17 more than one set of the sorry blades they put on my deck.

The recommended blades would cut a lot of the grass but would not touch the clover so you ended up with a yard full of clover heads sticking up a few inches over the cut grass. Anyway, take a look at the blades on your Kubota.

My favorite thing about this mower is that it seems to sip the fuel.....big deal these days.

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Look at GrassHoppers with the "bota" diesel in them. Great cut and the advantage of the diesel.
    I traded a ZD 21 in on the Hopper and glad I did. Theres a world of differnce in the cut quality

9. fearthedeere

fearthedeere LawnSite Member

You might wait for the '07 Dixies man, I hear rumors of a 36 hp diesel if you must have one. I have not yet seen a Kubota outcut a Dixie Chopper in terms of quality of cut on commercial lawns. Of course a diesel would be your better choice over gas if your mowing pastures and such...but if you're doing that why not a bush hog? I wouldn't recommend ZTRs for consistent rough cutting.