Kubota Diesel Tractor G1900

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnstar, Feb 28, 2001.

1. Lawnstar

Lawnstar LawnSite Member

I tried out a Kubota 18 hp diesel tractor with 4 wheel steering, 54 inch deck (G 1900) yesterday, and was very impressed. The motor was really sharp, it purred like a kitten. It has a hydraulic power lift to raise and lower the deck. I was amazed at how sharp you can turn with the four wheel steering.

Has anyone ever used one of these tractors? How well does the 4 wheel steering hold up? How well do they cut? They have 3 options on the size deck, 48 54, and 60 inch. I bet that Kubota diesel engine would out last the rest of the mower.

Lawnstar

2. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed one. It is a nice machine, but I would not use it as my main mower, it seems it would be good for rougher ground. The cut leaves a little to be desired. True

3. Lawnstar

Lawnstar LawnSite Member

Hey captdevo, did the tractor not cut very well because the motor doesn't turn enough rpm's? I thought that 18 hp diesel would be the equivelent to 23 hp gas burner.

4. MIDSOUTH

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

Spend that money on a 60 inch zero turn such as Scag or Exmark. You'll never want to use a steering wheel ever again!!!!!!!

5. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

the hole machine seemed tipsy, i tried it on a hillside, it slid very bad, and around trees it seemed awkward pulling itself. A friend of mine Janssens lawn service had 2, said he would never by another (his nephew is the dealer) Any service ever done required alot of money and parts, he slid into a pond with one, broke a wheel off another. He has been in the biz for 30 years. The engine was very strong, I did like that much.

6. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

I've used the G1800 which is the 16hp diesel. They have a very good ground speed. The 4 wheel steering tends to get very sloppy after about 500 hours,due to linkage wear.
    The ordinary cut quality is due to the deck not floating over ground contours effectively,a consequence of the
    hydraulic deck lift. They tend to get rather tired after
    about 2000 hours,especially if you have employees driving them.

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Kubota use to have an adjustable anti -scalp roller in the center rear of the deck. They made a huge mistake when they went to using a none adjustable anti scalp roller. Because believe me on uneven ground it scalps like crazy. I talk to a rep for Kubota and said the adjustable roller kept getting grass clogged in it and therefore making it drag. I have an older style deck and didnt have a problem with clogging. I think they did this to cut cost. You Now have to raise the decks up 3"+ to keep it from scalping. Non floating decks need an adjustable height roller. Not just some small pin roller supporting the whole center deck. I would go with a John deere and a belly hydro mower comes in handy if you are doing alot of hilly properties

8. GLM

GLM LawnSite Member

I can't speak for the mower but I can vouch for the engine. Toro and Ransomes use them in their large golf course equiptmant and I used a small Kubota tractor for 1000 hrs and this tractor was well kept and you would swear looking at he hr.meter that now reads 200(turned over) that it only had 200 hrs. on it runs awesome. We don't have a dealer anywhere near us with the mowers so I'v only seen the catalog, but they do have one great engine!

9. Lawnstar

Lawnstar LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for information. The motor is what really impressed me. I have been using a 4514 Honda tractor, hydrostat with a 14 hp liquid cooled engine. I use a Toro 37 inch recycler walk behind and a John Deere JX75 21 inch for gated and smaller accounts. Just looking for something a little bigger than what I have.

Lawnstar