1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

kubota engine-diesel fuel in oil?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by smokey, Oct 24, 2005.

1. smokey

smokey LawnSite Member

I have a mower with a 37HP kubota engine and all of a sudden there is diesel fuel mixed with the engine oil. I'm thinking it is a head gasket problem,is there any other way fuel can get in with the oil? Thanks for any input.
  2. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Dead cylinder? Hows your compression?
    Valves, Rings.
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Leaky injector is the only reason this can happen.
  4. smokey

smokey LawnSite Member

If the injector was leaking wouldn't the fuel just get burned or blown out the exhaust?
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Not when it sits overnight.
  6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

This is the same thing that happened to my Duramax engine. The problem was, bad injector seals.
  7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I seen this once and it was the injector pump. A seal had gave way where the pump mounts to the engine and fuel was leaking from the pump into the crack case. Those injector can run over 1000 PSI so it does not take much of a leak to cause problems.
  8. niederhauser lawn care

niederhauser lawn care LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I had a john deere tractor do the same thing. It was the fuel pump. I dont know about your kubota but the john deere tractor fuel pump fuctioned off the engine crank and it leaked in that way.
  9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

This is definately a bad injector. Same thing will happen on a cummins diesel with a bad injector, it will "make oil". Should be taken to a repair shop for the fix.
  10. rancherman84

rancherman84 LawnSite Member

any diesel engine can make oil,could be a injector,could be the injection pump,could be the fuel transfer pump.
    these are the only places where the fuel oil and engine oil have a chance to mix.
    these can be hard to track down,take it to a good diesel tech.for diagnosis