1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kubota Engines?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike Felices, Jan 11, 2001.

1. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

I am purchasing a Walker in February and have decided to go witha Kuboota engine. I was wondering if anyone has had any problems out of these engines? Is it better to have the gasoline LC model or the Diesel model? What kind of maintenance is there on a LC mower? Is a diesel engine hard to work on? Is the $500 extra worth it for the Diesel engine over the gasoline LC engine? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

I just don't think that Mike believes me when I say there is very little maint. on these engines. As noted in the other post, oil, filter, fuel and air filters are about it. Of course the LC does require changing the antifreeze (I just do mine when I do my cars and trucks).
    Please, someone else either confirm or argue with this.
    Just kidding Mike. ;)
    I hope you do get the Walker. I know you will be happy with it. And I know your customers will like the results.
    As to the gas vs. diesel, it might just be your preference. both use the same block I believe and both should give long life. I just believe maint and fuel costs will be less with the diesel.
  3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know about the Walker, but the 21 LC gas Kubota on my Grasshopper has been damn reliable at about 2800 hours. In fact it is the best part of the machine :)
  4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Walker with the Kubota diesel and it works good for me. I only use it for spraying, I mounted a front mount sprayer on it, so I don't put alot of hours on it. I bought it used and the only thing I have ever done is replace the starter. It burns out when a wire melted and keep spinning the starter, but the time I figured out what was happening it had burnt the starter. It was pretty pricey but I don't think it would happen again. PS if you ever need a replacement motor lots of refrigerated trucks use the Kubota motor and you can sometimes get a used one cheap from a junked trailer.
  5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Mike, you will save that extra $500 that the diesel costs in no time. The fuel savings alone add up in a hurry, plus you will need less oil changes, and you don't have to change them darn spark plugs. I have done absolutely nothing to my Yanmar in my 10 year old JD 430 except change oil and filters.

I've heard the Kubota is a great engine too. If I was buying that machine, I would get a diesel. My last new Chopper is a diesel and I like it a lot, but it has the Yanmar also. I burn 3 quarts an hour which is around half of what my other Chopper burns in gas and they have the same size decks. As I said, the fuel savings will add up fast.
  6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Mike , I have 2 Grasshopper mowers, both with 25HP Kubota (gas)engines. I have never had any kind of engine trouble. I also know someone that has 3000 hours on their Kubota engine. This engine will probably out last the mower.
  7. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

You won't be sorry getting either the gas or the diesel Kubota. I have a 25HP gas model in my Grasshapper and would never get a air cooled engine again. The torque is outstanding for going through heavy wet grass. As to getting the gas or the diesel, I would make that decision upon what fuel I used in my truck, going with the same one. I've got aprox 1000 hrs on my Kubota with absolutely no problems. I change oil and filter more often than required but other than that, I haven't had to do zip to it. I plan I keeping it a long time.
  8. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

I have pricing on the units I want and the Diesel is $50 cheaper than the LC (gas). The mower would be turned on and off, and only run for short periods of time because all of my properties are residential. The mower would run for 10min to 45min and then be put on the trailer and transported to the next job 30 secornds to 3 min away. Would it be worth just letting the Diesel idle on the trailer between jobs, or get the LC (gas) and shut it off between properties? Turning the Diesel on and off isn't good for it. Right?
  9. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

Won't hurt a thing to turn it on and off. The initial start when cold in the mornings usually requires the use of the glow plugs to start it. After it has run for a few minutes mine will start immediately on the next starts all day long. Even after letting it sit for an hour or so.
    Added note: I didn't even try the LC gas engine. I do suggest that you start and drive each unit. I use ear protectors when operating my diesel Walker. The diesel does have a sound of its own. I don't know if the gas is any quieter. That could affect your decision as to which to use. Of course you should use ear protection anyway.
  10. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Have you tried the Kohler 26hp efi motor?
    Very strong and economical.