Kubota GF1800 - $4000 - good deal?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by tpetty, Apr 20, 2004.

1. tpetty

tpetty LawnSite Member
    from IL

I can get a Kubota GF1800 (2 wheel drive) with a 48" deck and 350 hours locally for $4000 OBO (so I assume a couple hundred under the $4000). I have a 3 acre yard with trees and some slopes - would the Kubota work well for this, and worth the money? I don't know what year it is. Thanks.

2. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a good deal, if you are mechanically inclined, check it out- oil color and smell/texture in motor and gearboxes and transmissions, compression of engine cylinders, loosness of bushings and caster wheels, straight driveshaft, pto bearings, straight and clean deck, spindle bearings.
    If you are not mechanical, find someone who is, and have them check it out.

You can probably pick up a new ztr 48 for about 5000.
    I think this model has a steering wheel and traction control pedal, so will be easy to drive, like a golf cart.

3. tpetty

tpetty LawnSite Member
    from IL

I found out it's a '99. From a cursory look, appears in good shape.

4. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

I used to use a Gf1800 with a 60 inch cut. I loved the machine, but it had difficulty climbing hills, especially if the grass was a bit damp. I think the price seems fair because it will last a long time.

5. tpetty

tpetty LawnSite Member
    from IL

That may be a big problem then, as most of the 3 acres is hills - some so steep that probably only a walk behind is safe - but I'm not going to "walk behind" 3 acres every week :)

Do you guys think I would be better off spending $4000 on a new zero turn mower - or what other kind of mower would be better for hilly ground? Thanks.